Cenote temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewpy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the average temps for a Cenote dive in the PDC area?
I dive with a 3mil shorty in the ocean..will that be enough for the cenotes?

Many thanks!

Water temperature in the cenotes is around 75 degrees (Fahrenheit). We normally recommend a full wetsuit for cenote dives. Most people would find a shorty to be too little coverage and would be uncomfortably cold before the first dive was over.

I had to use a 5mm full suit whilst cave diving there. It was barely enough for me, but then we were doing 1- 2hr dives. As long as I was swimming I was OK. Once we stopped,... I started getting quite cold. Tolerance to the cold is very individual.

Thanks guys..I am fine anywhere in the tropics with my 3mm but will have to re-visit that for the cenotes.

Vrkolas- as a dive shop there do you rent not so common sizes..I am 6'4" and not an off the rack guy?

I'd be freezing in a shorty. I'd say a 3 mil is about the minimum, for me 5mm is way better. Most of the guides that are in there a lot use dry suits.

I would be surprised if you can rent a wetsuit heavier than 3 mil there, because the ocean is warmer than the cenotes, and most people dive in the ocean. I know that when my dry suit zipper failed, there was nowhere I could rent a 7 mil suit, for sure.

The cenote dives, on the other hand, are fairly short. I don't know what your tolerance for 75 degree water is, but if you can do 45 minutes in it while swimming gently, you'll be fine. I did my original cenote tours in a 3 mil full suit and I was perfectly comfortable, and I get cold very easily.

I will be there for two weeks..Most of my dives for the last year and a half will have been in Monterey. Diving the Cenotes has been a dream for both me and my wife! I think we will shiver and be very happy! I visited Chichen Itza when I was ten after living in Puerto Rico and wanted to go snorkeling in the cenote there?
This will be a long time dream fullfilled!

I did Dos Ojos few days ago. I normally dive Boardshorts and Rash in the ocean. Temps here have been 28-29c lately. In the Cenote it was 24c and i took the 3mil. Next centote dive I do ill take the 6mm semi. I was cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom