Cenote temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have fun! But be aware that the cenote dives are incredibly dangerous.

The cave bug lives in those places, and its bite can be lethal . . . to your wallet!

It will be our first time in the cenotes..looking forward to it!!

I know a local posted 75 degrees F as average temperature, by my experience down around Akumal (south of Playa) is that the water was closer to 70. Definitely 3 mil full suit, maybe a 5 mil.
DivemasterDennis

I've never seen temps lower than 75 in the cenotes, but it can still get cool, especially if they change your tanks out in the water between dives. I've had good luck with a 5mm wet suit and 5/3 mm hooded vest on cave dives there of up to two hours.

I have also never seen it at 70 degrees. Water temps. are around 75degrees with very little variation. What makes it feel different (perhaps cooler) than in open water is that you have a physical ceiling above you, so no sunlight warming you up along the way. Also the dives are performed in a slow, very controlled manner, so you're not moving as much. As far as changing tanks in the water, i think that's a crappy practice that should be eliminated. People should have enought time to do a surface interval, go to the bathroom, drink some water, etc.... But that's besides the point.

We did two dives at Chac Mool in early May of this year. The water temp at depth was 77 degs on both dives. On the safety concern, there is a recurring debate on SB regarding whether cenotes diving is safe under any circumstance for OW divers who do not have Cavern training. So long as you are with a qualified guide the cenotes have an excellent safety record, notwithstanding the deaths earlier this year.

It's striking how much warmer it feels when you drop into the salt water below the halocline, even though it's only a couple of degrees.

I´ve been diving in cenotes for over 25 years (Caves and caverns) and yes, sometimes can be cold, but if you don´t want to feel like that you should to use a full 3mm wet suit and a shorty over the full one, as well a hood it will be helpfull, do it like this and you´ll see, NO COLD AT ALL, we are some dive operations with wet suits your size for our divers.

I wear a 3 mil and a hood year round in the cenotes. Never gets too cold. I used to dive with a shorty and a hood and at times, could get chilly. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom