Cenote Aerolito de Paraiso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
SB,

Has anyone ever dived at Cenote Aerolito de Paraiso? I am familuar with the cenotes on the mainland but this is the first I have heard of a divable one on the island?

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

I dived several Cenotes on the Mainland, but never on the Island

Cenote diving is very interesting, they tend to be quite cold. Too many times was a wishing I had a 7 mil suit.

I my younger days I worked in coal mines in Western Colorado, so I have a fascination with caves and mines...I can just imagine the water temperature. :)

I did a day of tours with German a few years ago, and we dove Aerolito. As a cavern/cave dive, it's very interesting, because unlike the mainland caves, this one is full of unique cave life forms, including brittle stars and clams with bright red mantles. It is dark and very silty, and not very decorated, at least as far as we could go on C1 limits. There is almost no open water basin, though, so for people without overhead training, I don't think it would be very interesting, and it's not a place one would take an OW diver on a cavern tour.

I did a day of tours with German a few years ago, and we dove Aerolito. As a cavern/cave dive, it's very interesting, because unlike the mainland caves, this one is full of unique cave life forms, including brittle stars and clams with bright red mantles. It is dark and very silty, and not very decorated, at least as far as we could go on C1 limits. There is almost no open water basin, though, so for people without overhead training, I don't think it would be very interesting, and it's not a place one would take an OW diver on a cavern tour.

I wouldn't even think about going there until I do the Cavern/Intro/Basic Cave Diver course with Jim Wyatt...or should I wait to become full Cave Certified? But it sure does sound appealing to combine it with a Coz trip. Are there any other divable cenotes on Cozumel?

I believe there are several -- German is the man to talk to. He's done a lot of the exploration there. I don't think any of them except Aerolito is easy to find from the road, and other than German, I'm not sure where you would source cave gear for rent on Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom