Celebrating my 55th in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbittner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was born in 1955, which means that I will turn 55 this summer. A friend suggested that I do something special to mark my "double nickels" birthday.

Well, I hadn't planned on anything special, but a plan has slowly come together. I will be traveling to Hawaii twice this summer. I'll be in Oahu (June 6-10) on the way to Fiji, and will be in Maui (June 20-25) after the Fiji trip. In addition, my brother and I will be in Kona (Aug 8-14) and Kauai (Aug 14-20) in August. Thus, I'm planning on trying to dive all of the main islands this summer.

I already have my Oahu dives set up (Jun 7-9) with Kaimana Divers. For the Maui part, I'm hoping to do something different. I've been to Maui numerous times, and have done boat dives to Molokini Crater, the Back Wall, LaPerouse, Red Hill, Wailea Point, etc. many times. I've thought of going with North Shore Explorers, but I'm worried about my right shoulder -- I had rotator cuff surgery last summer, and it is still very weak. Even before my injury, I had trouble pulling myself into an RIB after a dive. I think I need to to a lot more physical therapy before attempting such a dive excursion.

So, what I hope to do is to dive Moloka'i and Lana'i at least one day each during my dive days in Maui (Jun 21-24). I already have my housing set up (in Kihei), so it will mean the long drive in the morning. It looks like Lahaina Divers are my only "sure bet" for Moloka'i (assuming the sea and weather conditions cooperate), while LD and Extended Horizons are the possibilities for Lana'i.

My Kona dive days are Aug 10-12. I definitely want to do the Manta dive (we got skunked the last time I tried it). In addition, I am toying with the possibility of doing the Big Island Divers combined Manta/Black Water dive. I have to admit that reading the posts about the Black Water dive has me wondering, though. I also want to spend at least one of the dive days checking out the Kohala dive sites.

My Kauai dive days are Aug 16-19. I definitely want to do the Ni'ihau trip.

As usual, I prefer boat diving to shore diving. (Yes, it will be more expensive, but I only expect to turn 55 once.) Also, I know that this plan means a number of shorter stretches of diving broken up by off-gassing days and travel. Normally, I would just go to one place and "dive my brains out," but the possibility of diving every main island (except Kaho'olawe) at least once this summer appeals to me. Next summer I'll go back to my usual "lots of dives in one place" pattern.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

P.S. If someone knows a way I could legally (and respectfully) add Kaho'olawe to my list please let me know. I dove Maui back in February (at the height of whale season!!!) so I don't actually have to dive it again in order to dive all the main islands (plus Molokini) during 2010.

Hi Dave,

Sounds like lots of fun! I'd suggest Hawaiian Rafting Adventures -- you don't have to "pull yourself back onto a RIB" with their boats -- there are ladders on the back, and my dad has commented repeatedly on how he finds their boat easier to get back on than the typical Molokini operators.

I'd caution you against booking with a "guaranteed" trip to Molokai. This has recently been discussed at length here -- just because the boat goes 90% of the time doesn't mean that the dives are really worth doing 90% of the time, nor that the ride is enjoyable.

Also, before you listen to those that say the big boats are the better options for this crossing, I should mention that I've crossed between Lahaina and Lanai on five different vessels: the ~60' Expeditions ferry, ~35' aluminium vessels (two different ones), and the two vessels operated by Hawaiian Rafting (~30-35' Pele's RAIV and Hoku - their new NAIAD). Of those, the RAIV and NAIAD have been the smoothest, calmest rides.

I've done the crossing between Maui and Molokai on two vessels: the 349' Alakai and the 100' Molokai Princess. Of those two, neither was overly *pleasant*, but the Molokai Princess was smoother.

My point? The smaller vessels that do the crossing only when it's appropriate are the ones worth considering. Anyone that will promise you a trip ANYWHERE around Maui is not reputable -- this goes for anyone promising the Backwall, anyone promising a specific site off Lanai, or anyone promising a trip to Molokai.

I'd suggest Hawaiian Rafting Adventures -- you don't have to "pull yourself back onto a RIB" with their boats -- there are ladders on the back

I am not 100% sure, but somehow I doubt the most expensive two tank trip in Hawaii makes you pull yourself back into their RIB without the use of a ladder. Are experienced NSE customers claiming there is no ladder? :idk:

halemanō;5238039:
I am not 100% sure, but somehow I doubt the most expensive two tank trip in Hawaii makes you pull yourself back into their RIB without the use of a ladder. Are experienced NSE customers claiming there is no ladder? :idk:
That's a good question -- I wasn't meaning to suggest a replacement for NSE, just that the boats that HRA uses don't mean you have to pull yourself up over the side. :)

I suspect you're right, though -- these boats have too much freeboard to be having to pull yourself in over the side.

dbittner, I'll be in Hawaii 5 days after my 55th in Aug also. I'm going to my daughter's wedding on the 7th, returning to Belize on the 21.
May go to Kauai for a few days around the 14 -20. I'll be free dive spearing with a friend on Oahu a few times too. HaPPY 55th !! Ya man, We're not getting old, we're getting GOOD. !!

P.S. If someone knows a way I could legally (and respectfully) add Kaho'olawe to my list please let me know.

Here is the short answer; becoming one of the UH science divers that get to dive Kaho'olawe will require many years and many butts kissed. :)

KIRC Protecting Valuable Ocean Resources:
Working with scientific SCUBA divers from the University of Hawai‘i, the KIRC is monitoring the reef to determine the species diversity and health of coral, fish, algae, and large invertebrates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom