Ceiling Error?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at my old dives, and I don't understand the ceiling error in this dive. I thought a ceiling error was if you ascended past a mandatory safety stop depth. This error is on my descent. The dive was 45 minutes long with a max depth of 60 ft, and an average depth of 44 ft, but I'm not sure that is relevant, since the warning was on my descent. I attached pictures of the profile and the close up of the error. dive with error.jpgerror closeup.png

Can anyone give me insight on what I should do on future dives to prevent this error?

I did get an ascent warning on my previous dive. That dive had a max depth of 73 feet and an average depth of 43 feet for 52 minutes. I had a 1 hr 15 minute surface interval between the two dives.

If it is the ascent warning, I am already hard at work preventing that (I've got it down in freshwater, still a little worried about saltwater.) If it is something else, I'd like to know what.

I get these on my Cobra at the beginning of dives occasionally when downloading to DiveManager software, and I believe I saw a few threads on SB previously which attributed it to when you dive while the Caution symbol is still showing on your dive computer. You can get that symbol pretty easily from ascending too fast on the prior dive, or diving deep, or anytime the computer feels you should extend your surface interval for one reason or another.

That's very odd, I usually see that sign when I have a short (less than 1hr) S.I. after a deeper dive. But as you point out you had a 1.25 hr S.I.
Ironically Suunto DM interprets this icon as Ceiling Error which is absolutely unlikely at the very beginning of the dive, but all other apps show the same icon as just an attention sign.

I don't know which computer you are using, but the only other time I have gotten a random attention sign is if I have a second gas turned on in the settings and do not switch to it. The profile will show a "better mix available" attention during the shallow part of the dive when I would be using 80 or 100% O2.

but all other apps show the same icon as just an attention sign.
Oh, that makes sense. But I still don't know what it wants me to pay attention to at that point in the dive.

I don't know which computer you are using, but the only other time I have gotten a random attention sign is if I have a second gas turned on in the settings and do not switch to it.

This is Suunto Zoop (sorry, should have said that). I dive air only, so I've never changed the gas settings or used the nitrox mode.

If it is the ascent warning, I am already hard at work preventing that (I've got it down in freshwater, still a little worried about saltwater.)

The ascent rate is based on your computer and not you. If you have a wrist mounted computer and vent by raising your hand then you can get the computer indicating a two fast ascent if the hand went up quick

The ascent rate is based on your computer and not you. If you have a wrist mounted computer and vent by raising your hand then you can get the computer indicating a two fast ascent if the hand went up quick

Sadly, it was me. My computer is on the opposite wrist from what I vent with. I try really hard to kick as slowly as I can, but I get really bouyant at the top. This weekend we practiced holding for two deep breaths each foot we went up from 15 feet. So I'm working on slowing down.

FYI - this was the sb convo I saw on this. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co.../271735-suunto-dive-manager-violations-5.html

I get this symbol on DM4 all the time on my repetitive dives during the first few seconds of the initial descent (it does not appear while I'm actually diving, just when uploaded to DM4). I'm pretty sure that the symbol you are seeing on DM4 during your descent is merely alerting you that you started the next dive while you had a "caution" symbol on your computer indicating that your computer recommended an extended surface interval after your previous dive for any one of various reasons (deep, see-saw profile, too fast ascent).

Thanks. I've never noticed the caution symbol before- I will have to get the manual out and look where I'm supposed to see it to make sure I don't miss it in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom