Cebu as my base camp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can I reach any good diving doing day trips from Cebu? I'd like to stay at the Hilton using my points but it seems all of the good diving is not near Cebu.

I like the atmosphere in PG; diving by day and party by night. Can I get that in Cebu?

Thanks!

Ah sweet Cebu...
I pulled in there during a Navy deployment and got in some great diving, both in and out of the water.
You want to get out of Cebu itself and over to Mactan Island, home of Lapu Lapu City. Just the name alone conjures up magical imagery. It's the only place where I actually danced on a chair with four women draped on me, but no one is much interested in cheap lurid stuff like that.
I dived out of Club Tambuli - great wall diving and the boat just follows along.
Tambuli Resorts

Can I reach any good diving doing day trips from Cebu? I'd like to stay at the Hilton using my points but it seems all of the good diving is not near Cebu.

I like the atmosphere in PG; diving by day and party by night. Can I get that in Cebu?

Thanks!

I seem to remember the Cebu Hilton is actually on Mactan Island, in fact one of the main boat/small ferry pick-ups was the Hilton Pier? :)

I stayed there around a year ago and would say the diving was 'okay' from my experience, althpough not on par with other close destinations like Malapascua, Moalboal or Bohol. Although many of the dive centers in Mactan offer trips further afield, certainly to Cabilao Island in Bohol - however this will take a few hours by boat to get there and back so probably wouldn't be the best option - better to just go there directly and stay.

I thought the the sites around Olango Island were better than the Mactan island in general, although there still seems to be some Blast fishing going on as there is a lot of loud bang's during the dives! I was told this is only well away from the sanctuary areas - it sounded pretty loud though! Sad to say there is often more 'tourist' divers walking across the corals than fish on some of the busier sites :(

Cebu has plenty of night life within a few minutes of Mactan so you'll have no problems there, sadly the diving isn't as good as PG but you're kind of spoiled for diving in the Philippines either way! The one site I would recommend would be over in Olango Island - I think it was Bearing point, it's a cleaning station where you have a good chance of seeing Thresher sharks (like a less well known Malapascua :!), sadly it's over 40m deep so bottom time isn't good - I went there twice and didn't see a thing :(, although a few other people I spoke to got lucky on a single dive - we'll worth doing as a the first dive if you do a day trip over to Olango.

Hope that helps - enjoy the diving, both above and below water!

Karl

Thanks!

Travel Pro,

If you really want to only make day trips then your best bet is making day trip to Alona only problem is it will be a long day... You have to travel via cab from the Hilton, by meter it will be close to 200P or $4.50 then take a fast craft to Tagbilaran around 600P or $13, find a trike to Alona another couple hundred peso... then hook up with one of the local dive shops there. You will just need to make sure you leave early enough to catch the first and last ferries of the day. I have never personally made the trip in a day but I know folks who have..

I assume money is not a problem since your staying at the Hilton so another option is a day trip to Moalboal which is very easy to do by taxi or rent a car and driver...

I am not knocking the diving on Mactan or Olongo but it is better in the two places I mentioned above.... However if your based out of the Hilton, Scuba World is right next door to the Hilton so you can walk over and arrange your Mactan based dives..

Cebu is unlike PG concerning the proximity and availability of the type of entertainment you are asking about... but there are several Girlie Bars in Cebu City and lots of KTVs in Mactan.... but you certainly can find plenty of places to party in Cebu...

I am based out of Moalboal and it generally takes me 2.5 hours to make the drive btwn Mactan and Moalboal.... again it will make for a long day...

You are welcome to PM me for more info...

Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
haha roger, love the avatar. :)

TP,

As Roger said - scubaworld is right next door. The Hilton also has a dive shop on the premises but you pay $$$$. If you don't mind no frills equipment (or are bringing your own equipment), search for Liquid Assets on here. They'll pick you up from the pier adjacent to the Hilton.

Problem with Hilton is that you're pretty isolated from the party areas (ie Tambuli side or cebu city). The Hilton can arrange a taxi for you to get to the party areas, but going back might be harder. You could take a jeepney, but they're not too frequent to the Hilton pier at late night. You could take a taxi, but expect to pay double at night since it's on the other side of Mactan.

As for diving, Mactan diving is ok (I enjoy PG better) but I'd reco you make a trip out to Hilutugan or Nalasuan marine sanctuaries because they have good diving.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Chip.
My wife and I dove through scubaworld on Mactan Is. Jan. 2008, and had a great time. There are nature preserves nearby as well as day-trips a little further to Balicasag.
Night-life is where you can find it, but be careful. Make sure that night-life is what you want.
Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find in one stop. Deep,drift, nature,wreck,rec.,tec., etc. My wife and I dove through Action divers on Little LaLaguna Beach 2005. Little Laguna and Big LaLaguna beach's are quieter than Sabang, which has the night-life.
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!!

Thanks for the info. Its very helpful. Sounds like so many good diving spots and so little time.

Roger, I sent you a PM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom