CDX5 or FDX10 for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eliminator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I already have 1 CDX5 and 1 FDX10, but I'm putting a doubles set together and want the first stages to "match". So, I'm looking to pick up either another CDX5 or FDX10 to make this happen (the 3rd first stage would go to the deco bottle)

DVT is not a concern since I'm going DIN. At first glance, looks like pair of FDX10s would work best flipped upside down on doubles. Would that affect their performace at all? Which pair would have the best hose routing?

thanx

I use double cdx5's on my rig. My only issue with the fdx10's and this is because wrecks have overhead environments which if accidentally bumped could crack the envrio seal covers if you put them upside down. Not a big deal but I like the hose routing with the cdx5's better. And don't forget that if you look around you can pick up a cdx5 on a GT3 or Alpha8 and add a DIN kit for less than half the cost of a reg with the fdx10. Pm me for details on that. here is a small pic. go to this link to be able to enlarge it along with pics of each side.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=368415#post368415

Attachments

• doubles routing cdx5.jpg
    doubles routing cdx5.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 466
Well, I just ordered an Alph8/CDX5 reg and 2 DIN conversion kits. Looks like the FDX10 and Apha8 will go to a deco or travel bottle and I'll have 2x CDX5s, a GT3 and Delta4 on my back.

One thing for sure, I'll be the only person dving out here with Oceanic regs on a tech rig.

pics to follow for all you Oceanic Fans...

I've never quite understood why Oceanic hasn't really gained much of a following from Technical divers. They have an excellent line of regs, well priced, and have great customer support. Now having said that, I don't use Oceanic on my tech rig (simply a personal preferance), but I do own 3 CDX5/GT3's that I seem to keep acquiring, and use them for single tank setups. While I dont use them on my tech rig, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put one into service if one of my "tech regs" was malfunctioning.

I use the FDX10 as my primary first stage w/din and position it so the enviro cap is facing in towards the isolator valve. Great set-up, breaths well to 300+ffsw.

I've never quite understood why Oceanic hasn't really gained much of a following from Technical divers. They have an excellent line of regs, well priced, and have great customer support.

The shop I go through used to be a big Oceanic dealer so a lot of my tech diver friends dive (or at least dove) Oceanic regs. I didn't buy any because the Dive Rites offered better value at the time (I'm not sure if they do anymore), but if Oceanic still made the Omega I'd probably have bought one by now. Overall I was never impressed with Oceanic adding swivels, proprietary second stage hose fittings and other nonsense.

It's a pretty straight forward process, if you have a bit of mechanical aptitude, you can do it. I have the service manual for that reg if you need it. You can purchase the kit at any Oceanic Dealership, such as Scubatoys, or Dive Right In Scuba. Just for a price comparison, you can get the kit from Leisurepro for $75, but I wouldn't be shocked if you could find it a bit cheaper somewhere else.

Oceanic Din Conversion Kit for 1999 Year regulators & Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom