CDWS dissolved...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard today that the CDWS has, with private funding, effectively re-opened for business. Card processing and exams are back online, and apparently some new moorings were installed last week. I haven't had a chance to confirm this, and I've been off work for a few days due to complications with my apartment moving, but has anybody else heard anything?

C.

I heard today that the CDWS has, with private funding, effectively re-opened for business...
Wow...
Did they find some generous sponsor, or what?
If some rich guy really did put his own money into the CDWS, I would be very impressed - and applaud him!

I'm with macrobubble on this one, if it is genuine philanthropy then that is great. Let's hope it is not an underhand way to gain power in the area. Oooh have I been seeing too much corruption in this world lately?

Anyway I shall watch this space and add more if I hear good news.

As for the moorings, I was on Fiddle Garden two days ago and there were no remaining moorings in the entire gardens. One on Middle Garden has completely gone, and all the others have lost their floating buoys, requiring us guides to dive down and tie our mooring lines to the remaining chains. Doable, but not ideal really.

I will certainly be a happy bunnie should they have heeded our messages and fixed the buoys.

Sounds like another scam to con some more money out of dive centres and instructors alike. Just because they claim they're back doesnt mean they actually have any regulatory power or authority what-so-ever. Could just be another "grab it while you can" corruption like they've done before.

There's no such thing as some rich guy really did put his own money into the CDWS and no such thing as genuine philanthropy. The kind of agency CDWS is suppose to be and the service in oversight it is suppose to have means it funding must be transparent and there must not be even appearance of conflict of interest. Forget CDWS and organize yourselves.....

Actually I disagree - some of the members of the CDWS are both wealthy and also genuinely concerned about what happens here. I know this, because I work for one of them. He's on holiday at the moment so I haven't had a chance to catch up with him, but I've been assured that what I posted is the genuine article.

I've kinda been stuck in the centre for two weeks for various reasons, and also had to take some time off to move house but I did see a very shiny new mooring at Temple last week... problem is I never go there (too busy) so I don't know its history but for sure it was new. Last time I was in the gardens it was pretty much devoid of shamandoura so I had to jump in and tie one myself but hopefully this week I'll be back on the boats again and can report back.

As always - I know the CDWS has its issues, but actually there are some people in there who really are genuinely trying to do the best they can for the Egyptian Red Sea, much as others may not wish to recognise this. A corrupt body that actually really does some good stuff, however small, is better than a corrupt body that does nothing at all and me, as well as many of my colleagues, would like to see them continue. It might be small beans, but small beans are better than no beans.

Cheers

C.

I've not seen a single good thing the CDWS does. Possibly in Sharm they do things (especially for those centres they're related to/pay the backsheesh etc) but outside there they seem to contribute absolutely nothing what-so-ever towards conservation or diver safety. It seems they have a policy to actively ignore any complaints/queries even those with photographic evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom