CDWS dissolved...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Actually the concept of borrowing money is refused by a bunch of politicians and activists.

Believe me, they are right ! My country (Greece) has just received a huge international loan (to pay off previous debts) and the conditions imposed by the borrowers have already severely impacted our living standards (wage reductions of >20%), multiple tax increases, unemployment and, worst of all, an obligation to sell almost every successful public enterprise (Electricity, telecoms etc)

Sorry for the off-topic but ... it hurts :depressed:

Believe me, they are right ! My country (Greece) has just received a huge international loan (to pay off previous debts) and the conditions imposed by the borrowers have already severely impacted our living standards (wage reductions of >20%), multiple tax increases, unemployment and, worst of all, an obligation to sell almost every successful public enterprise (Electricity, telecoms etc)

Sorry for the off-topic but ... it hurts :depressed:
Of course I believe you. We simply won't allow it here, as we know very well that no one will help us because he simply likes us (or because he wants to maintain "democracy") :wink:

well, regardless of what might be going on in the smoky backrooms of Egyptian politics, the CDWS still currently exists, however is effectively non-operational.

The office in Hadaba is closed, although I have to say I don't pass by there every day so I can't exactly give you an up-to-the-minute update.

Interesting times....

C.

Congratulations!
Currently the people in charge are doing their best to ruin the egyptian tourism industry.
Does anybody really think, these absurd measures (absurd = changing everything over night) will be without impact on tourism?
Does anybody believe that´s the way to attract investors?
Does anybody think this will create jobs for Egyptians?

Driving foreigners out of Egypt will only achieve distrust by investors, a decline of the number of tourists and a therefore a reduction of needed labour. Less money coming in equals less jobs equals less development equals lower quality of life for the people. What about the foreigners who have invested in real estate for retirement? They have to leave as well? You can´t just live here, spend your money and enjoy the rest of your days? Well, that´s what Thailand and the Philipines lately make a lot of money from.

Egyptians have to understand that national pride should have nothing to do with rejection of (needed!) foreigners! The "we can do everything alone and don´t need outside help" attitude is a recipe for desaster!

It´s sad that the wonderful, peaceful revolution now turns onto a nationalistic, ugly and self-destroying path. What seems to be forming here has nothing to do with an open and free democracy. It has turned into a self-centered, egotistical and narrow-minded movement against foreigners...

Just to let you know that it is still possible to renew your work permits. Hubbie and friends went to El Tor the other day and were able to renew their work permits beyond September. Rumours have been flying around that no one will be able to stay beyond that date, so this is a smidge of good news, in confusing times.

As for CDWS, I agree there were a few issues up in the higher echelons, however their core motto and reason d'etre was inspired and with good will. They wanted to ensure the quality of diving safety and conservation in our area, and their loss will be sorely missed. OK, they have not closed down, but without money, how are they going to maintain all the good work they have done so far? Already I have heard comments along the lines of "we can do what we like, there is no CDWS anymore!" do we really need a "big brother" to tell us right from wrong? We know what is safe, what is healthy for the reef, so why do people ignore these guidelines?

Anyway I do feel for those who put their hearts and souls into trying to make the Red Sea a better and safer piece of water. They are now unemployed. :(

What I wonder about is the following: As there is no CDWS anymore and the police is mostly not performing their duties...

Could you in theory go without a DM to dive sites in the more busy places like Hurghada / Sharm / Dahab withouth anyone intervening?

I'm just curious.

Well, in Dahab there are still checkpoints north (Canyon, Blue Hole) and in the south.
If they really make problems if you don´t have a valid permission, I don´t know...

The reason I'm asking is that I've been traveling a lot in Egypt the last months, up and down the coast to Libya and also recently in the Red Sea region and my experience is that the police checkpoints, while sometimes still operated, has ceased functioning. It seems the only ones doing their jobs are the MPs and I don't think they care about diving licences :D

But things could very well be different in Sinai, would not come as a big surprise either.

CDWS was not checking permissions, just checking the dive operation including that the DM or guide is carrying the CDWS card. Other than that, normal permissions needed for diving come from a different authority ... for example in Hurghada a dive boat can not go out to the sea without coast guard permission and someone supposedly checks this permission before the boat leaves and this is still going.

I am not sure who issues permissions in Dahab, but I think it is the same procedure and permissions have to be checked ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom