CDFW Officers Cite Two for Abalone Poaching in Marine Protected Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - May 23, 2013
Contacts:
Lt. Eric Kord, CDFW Enforcement, (858) 538-6017
Andrew Hughan, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8944

CDFW Officers Cite Two for Abalone Poaching in Marine Protected Area
California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) wardens cited two Southern California men for illegally taking abalone from the Marine Protected Area (MPA) near Laguna Beach recently.
CDFW wildlife officers observed Juni Pong, 47, from El Monte and Kuan Yee, 47, from Yorba Linda, entering the ocean at Moss Cove in Laguna Beach in full scuba gear. After more than an hour of diving the two men returned to the beach and were met by an officer who found two green abalone in each of the men’s diving gear.
Both suspects were cited for possession of abalone and take of fish inside a marine protected area, both potential misdemeanor violations, and then released. The abalone were photographed for evidence and returned to the sea, and the men’s diving equipment was confiscated and impounded as evidence.
Abalone may only be taken north of San Francisco Bay during prescribed seasons. For abalone fishing regulations seewww.dfg.ca.gov/marine/invertebrate/regulations_rec.asp.
The case will be forwarded to the Orange County District Attorney’s office for prosecution.

Hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. We would all like to hunt, but the protected areas seem to be working. Off with their hands!!

But but....that's where the marine life is!?!?!

Likewise hope they throw the book at them... preferably the CDF&W rules and regulations as I think that woulod really do some damage. Confiscate their cars too since they were used in commiting a crime.

I would be more worried about the preservation of the 4th, 5th, 8th and 10th amendments in the adjudication of the case, than I would a couple of shell divers without some information. The tree huggers have too much over-reach as it is.

I would be more worried about the preservation of the 4th, 5th, 8th and 10th amendments in the adjudication of the case, than I would a couple of shell divers without some information. The tree huggers have too much over-reach as it is.

Oh, really? And you think that setting aside less than 20% of the waters for no take is over reach? The ones who have over reached are the ones who hunted species to near extinction and then poached them when they were supposed to be protected.

Oh, really? And you think that setting aside less than 20% of the waters for no take is over reach? The ones who have over reached are the ones who hunted species to near extinction and then poached them when they were supposed to be protected.

Although I am on your side on this one, 20% would be good if put in the right places. The ones who hunted species to near extinction did it legally under the CA fish and game regs. At that point who is at fault?

The poachers are a different group of people who pay no attention to the law and probably did not when there was a legal harvest. Lets keep those a**wipes separate from law abiding ab divers and speros.

Hope you don't mind some NorCal input.

Thanks
Bob
-------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I'm really glad to see the constitutional scholars weighing in on this grave threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of killing off anything. I haven't hugged any trees recently, but I certainly have listened to such scholars pulling off an excellent imitation of dead wood.

Turning to the subject at hand, the issue of the severity of the punishment is one of deterrence. A slap on the wrist accomplishes nothing, other than to send the message that this sort of thing can continue. Steep fines and confiscation of gear will not only deter the two mopes who did this, but will also send a loud message to those who might consider it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom