CDC Covid-19 travel warning for US Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

The CDC website indicates that the US Virgin Islands has a "very high level of COVID-19" and that "travelers should avoid all travel to the US Virgin Islands".

Is everyone believing this? I have not seen that COVID is running rampant in the USVI. I am wanting to schedule a dive trip in early April to St. Croix, but the CDC warning is giving me pause. Thanks for everyone's input.

DougieG

Looking at it, it looks like St. Croix has 22 active cases on the island. We are going in the end of March, so I hope it stays that way.
150221128_3865143306839452_218141686230655204_n.jpg

Scooter961, thanks for the information! What website did you get your data from?

Looks like Saint Croix has had about 1000 cases overall, which is about 2% of their population (50,000). I suppose some of those could be tourists though.

I believe you need a negative COVID test to enter the USVI, but no negative test when you leave and head back to the US mainland, right?

covid19usvi.com Is where I get it. Also on fb
That is correct only need a negative to get there. I thankfully have had both my vaccine shots already as well. Now if I don’t have a panic attack on a full plane I should be good lol

Scooter961, thanks for the information! What website did you get your data from?

Looks like Saint Croix has had about 1000 cases overall, which is about 2% of their population (50,000). I suppose some of those could be tourists though.

I believe you need a negative COVID test to enter the USVI, but no negative test when you leave and head back to the US mainland, right?

St. Croix local here - I would say we've had 3 major contributors to our infection rates in the US Virgin Islands. We had a major outbreak in the summer where a large number of workers at our Limetree Oil Refinery were infected. They were working to restart the refinery after years offline and were flying in large numbers of workers from the mainland to assist and many were staying in a temporary "man camp" (i.e. close quarters in manufactured trailers). Next came a large outbreak on St. Thomas and St. John attributed to tourism. Finally, some self-inflicted damage from local flying to/from the mainland bringing the virus back and a few big get togethers like weddings that were our version of super-spreader events. With each of these events, we then experience the associated community spread.

Overall, most people take the virus seriously here and we've had a mask rule in place since late spring/early summer last year. I don't think I've seen a single person inside a store not wearing a mask since the rules went into place. Our Governor has been quick to react to increases in our #'s through things like the mandatory testing for travelers, closing bars and nightclubs, etc.

Overall, I feel a lot safer here than what I hear about from friends and see on TV back on the mainland.

Here is a USVI travel update from today.

USVI TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS

All travelers to the U.S. Virgin Islands, aged 5 or older, are required to use the Travel Screening Portal, located at www.usvitravelportal.com, upload an acceptable COVID-19 test result and receive certification prior to travel.

A molecular or antigen test must be taken AND the negative result uploaded within five days of travel. A positive antibody test, which is valid for 4 months, is also acceptable.

Only a positive COVID-19 ANTIBODY test taken in the USVI may be used to return to the Territory. No test result is required to travel to or return to the U.S. mainland (unless the state you are traveling to has specific COVID-19 testing requirements in place).
For more information, visit usviupdate.com, email info@usviupdate.com, or call 340 774-8784, 340 772-0357 or 1-800-372-USVI (8784).

Rampant? Noooo. As mwall04 said, the biggest contributor right now is large local gatherings with a lack of social distancing. But the great thing is there are plenty of outdoor dining areas and activities. Our restaurants and tour operators are operating with social distancing and limited number of guests allowed at any given time. Add that to our great weather you'll be out breathing fresh air most of the time (accept when you're UW, lol).

Good news for you - our dive shops are limiting capacity on their boats. So, you'll have more room on the boat and fewer divers on the site.

Come on down, be careful before your trip, get your test w/in 5 days prior to travel, upload to the portal, wear your mask, disinfect your seats at the airport, plane, rental car and have a great time. Water will be warm and early April is a great time of year! Let me know if you need any advice.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom