CCR with automatic fail over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cinfo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there CCR's available with automatic fail over. Someone told me that in some failure senerios, a diver passes out before finding that a problem exists, eliminating the option to manually switch to a backup system.

Thanks
Steve

Not sure what your term "fail over" is. Calibration and attention to ppO2 is imperative. Many other factor's come into play such as replacing aging cells, analyzing all gasses, etc.. Some tried and true cliche's: If in doubt, Bail Out, Complacency Kills, know your po2.
Read some books, take a class. Supposedly the APOC CCR that has not come to the market yet will bail for you.

By fail over, I mean is there a system that is able to monitor critical operations and should something eletronic fail or something else fails inspite of perfect maintenance, would switch over to a redundent system or at they very least give ample warning before the diver blacks out? Some people say that the SCR's have the one advantage of being simpler and less prone to these types of failures. So I'm trying to balance the safety vs advanced features between the two.

I am begining to read about rebreathers and will be taking a class before venturing into using one, but I first want to make sure that this is what I want to do and that the safety and redundency is acceptable. I have also considered SCR vs CCR.

I am a fan of electronic controls and the options that offer, but as many have said, electronics can fail. I wouldn't dive with a wireless AI computer unless I also had another SPG.

One idea is to physiologic monitor the diver. For example if you could monitor the O2 saturation with a pulse oximeter you could set a threshold of say 90% that would automatically trigger an alarm and switching over to the OC.

Adam

Good ideas are often very hard to implement UW. Pulse Ox UW? It's very temp sensitive even in the hospital setting. Physiologic monitoring would be great, but then probes/attachments to the diver would be mandatory. Partial Pressures of Oxygen have been monitored in the breathing loop. The next big step will be monitoring CO2. Still, the diver MUST be on top of monitoring the unit and all it's functions. Complacency kills.

Bill

By fail over, I mean is there a system that is able to monitor critical operations and should something eletronic fail or something else fails inspite of perfect maintenance, would switch over to a redundent system or at they very least give ample warning before the diver blacks out? .

The Cis Lunar, and I believe the Boris (have buddy lights) + the HUD's on many CCR's (MEG) are terrific indicators for an alert buddy that systems are A-1. Making a device which incorporates a "save" function seems very, very difficult to implement, plus get gov. approval for.

X

Last edited:
It sounds like the best I will be able to do is get one with a Co2 sensor and a mouth piece "flip switch" to OC. It would also be nice to get one that is upgradeable to new technologies in the future. So the next question would be... Which one? If something wonderful is coming out, I could postpone for a little while... But hopefully not to long.

It sounds like the best I will be able to do is get one with a Co2 sensor and a mouth piece "flip switch" to OC. It would also be nice to get one that is upgradeable to new technologies in the future. So the next question would be... Which one? If something wonderful is coming out, I could postpone for a little while... But hopefully not to long.

The market has certainly developed over the last decade. That said - an ultimate RB like the Cis Lunar MK becomes cost prohibitive with all the safety features which were incorporated into the device. Plus, if it's so specialized no one is going to invest time and money into after market parts. A modular package like the Meg / Hammerhead / (near your neck of the woods in the Pacific NW) may be the way to go.

That said - over the decade I have worked with/moved at least 5 different brands of rebreathers. At the moment the Meg seems the best choice because of its modularity and add-on capability. Whatever you do - it will become expensive one way, or another. Best with search.

Cheers,

X

Thank you for the great info and advise.

Steve

Where would you suggest starting if before getting into diving the CCR, I wanted to become very familiar in the theory, maintenance, tear down, repair and reassembly of these devices. Before I trust my life on one, I feel the need to get up close and personal with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom