Question CCR Suggestion for Remote Boating Trips - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the insight. I like my dive buddies, but I am more relaxed diving alone in most cases. I know my problems are mine alone.
I find this as well, if I'm doing critter photography I like my buddies as they have better eyesight then me. But I really like diving by myself. I dove Scapa Flow back in 19 and although there were other OC divers one the boat (and friends) I was the only one on a RB (Inspiration +) and I had a blast staying within my own limits. When I dive the wrecks in the St Lawrence (Canada & US side) I am pretty much solo. I do carry bailout. I think the only issue that would worry me being solo versus with buddies would be a co2 breakthrough I not notice it. As far as when, it is when you feel comfortable. I started early, but I've been diving solo OC a long time.

We were in a similar situation a short time ago. You may want to read the SB post:

Making the leap: help choosing first rb

We went with O2ptima for various reasons and are still very happy with our decision, you may choose differently. The tread has a lot of great information and will help educate you on the features of different rebreathers (and help you decide which ones are important to you).

I'm not totally sure who your instructor actually was, but just guessing based on what I have read here I would suggest branching out and getting a new one to learn some fresh ideas
Scubaboard IS the source of all knowledge
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on the CCR threads for the last year while fixing/updating my dive boat and am questioning whether I can justify going the CCR route (I really want to.) I'll leave compressor/booster questions to the proper sub-forum and try to stay focused. I also realize that nothing happens until MOD1 is completed with an instructor, followed by some hours with another CCR buddy. My current level is AN/DP with TDI. Due to Covid restrictions I couldn't finish Full Cave, but would like to do so on a CCR when possible

So, if I said I have a 38ft Bayliner that I'm taking to Canada for at least a week at a time and diving some of the more remote areas, is there a CCR unit you would trust to the job? This would be solo diving for practical purposes as my dive buddy intends to stay OC and only does one or two dives a day. I have an 8kw 220v genset, so power for fills/mixing isn't an issue, but I don't have tons of space, either.

Provided that the above mentioned constraints aren't a deal-breaker, is there a unit that stands out for such an application? I don't feel a need to break time or depth records and am focused on photography, so a simple, robust, and readily repairable unit would be ideal.

Lastly, my instructor swears by Revo, but I want to keep an open mind.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 712174
if youve been lurking then youll know divers love to hate on revos so filter that out. if you get along with your instructor and anticipate on going dives together then a revo is a logical choice. -Get a second hand one -you might hate it and want to switch or go back to OC.

If photography is your passion then get an eccr as its too easy to get absorbed and forget your po2 levels and im afraid you will need to put down your camera for at least 50 hours of ccr diving while you develop your skills.

If your buddy is on OC then youll need to understand what requirements you both need to understand for an emergency situation. Also if you are divng together then your anticipated run times and deco obligation might be quite differant so youll need to work around that .

Lastly if you are doing sub 45 min dives its easily achievable with OC and less hassle. CCR are great for long run times and 30m type dives whereas deco in open seas bring others set of problems A scooter is a good option ......but one thing at a time.

Go for it ccrs are amazing

Lastly, my instructor swears by Revo, but I want to keep an open mind.

The rEvo is a very solid reliable unit and will suit your needs very well. It is very compact highly capable unit that has plenty of redundancy, more than most. The rEvo is quick and easy to build, clean and maintain. An all round great unit you won't be disappointed.

The rEvo is a very solid reliable unit and will suit your needs very well. It is very compact highly capable unit that has plenty of redundancy, more than most. The rEvo is quick and easy to build, clean and maintain. An all round great unit you won't be disappointed.
Same here. Good general rebreather. Travels well. Minimal connections (leak points). Well known and understood. Nor more flawed than any other rebreather, they all have flaws.

Scubaboard IS the source of all knowledge

if youve been lurking then youll know divers love to hate on revos so filter that out. if you get along with your instructor and anticipate on going dives together then a revo is a logical choice. -Get a second hand one -you might hate it and want to switch or go back to OC.

If photography is your passion then get an eccr as its too easy to get absorbed and forget your po2 levels and im afraid you will need to put down your camera for at least 50 hours of ccr diving while you develop your skills.
Good point. My focus is definitely macro photography (I may spend 15 minutes in one spot.)
If your buddy is on OC then youll need to understand what requirements you both need to understand for an emergency situation. Also if you are divng together then your anticipated run times and deco obligation might be quite differant so youll need to work around that .

Lastly if you are doing sub 45 min dives its easily achievable with OC and less hassle. CCR are great for long run times and 30m type dives whereas deco in open seas bring others set of problems A scooter is a good option ......but one thing at a time.
Most of my dives are limited by gas and may run 90min. I've also read that it's easier to stay warm with a CCR due to the loop's warm air, which would be nice.
Go for it ccrs are amazing

Thanks again to all who've chimed in--I think I have a rough idea of where I'm heading now, but have a lot of ground to cover. I also appreciate your patience with an aspiring CCR diver as there isn't any other place I've found to ask these sorts of questions.

Cheers,

-Michael

Thanks again to all who've chimed in--I think I have a rough idea of where I'm heading now, but have a lot of ground to cover. I also appreciate your patience with an aspiring CCR diver as there isn't any other place I've found to ask these sorts of questions.

Cheers,

-Michael
If you want another place, CCRExplorers.com also exists. Few others as well. Rebreatherworld.com is dead now. I think you might still get some archives, but the forums are now broken.

Good point. My focus is definitely macro photography (I may spend 15 minutes in one spot.)

Most of my dives are limited by gas and may run 90min. I've also read that it's easier to stay warm with a CCR due to the loop's warm air, which would be nice.
I spend ALOT of time just hanging out under the Frederiksted pier in ~30 FSW trying to catch the right picture of a frogfish or Seahorse (see my stuff on instagram timetodive.us). I've had my OC buddies run low on gas and leave me behind many times :rofl3::rofl3: (preplanned of course) .I love the security knowing that I will get really, really cold long before I run out of O2 and the eCCR takes care of everything. I keep an eye on om PPO2 of course but when I focus on the that critter, I can really focus. I've always said diving with a photographer means you're diving solo.

On St Croix, to my knowledge, there are only 2 rebreather divers: My instructor Norm and I and we both dive APDiving units as I said before. There are a few people interested in doing some try dives and if I get around to getting my RB instructor cert I may start evangelizing more.

Again, thanks to all the detailed threads here, I stumbled across a potential issue with the Revo, and perhaps BMCL's in general that's a big deal to me--caustic cocktail when going in to a head-down position. As mentioned, my primary reason for diving is macro photography, and for me that often means going nearly inverted to take the shot I want. Granted, there shouldn't be water in the loop to begin with, but finding out all at once sounds like a game over...

I appreciate learning from others :)

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom