Question CCR Suggestion for Remote Boating Trips - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on the CCR threads for the last year while fixing/updating my dive boat and am questioning whether I can justify going the CCR route (I really want to.) I'll leave compressor/booster questions to the proper sub-forum and try to stay focused. I also realize that nothing happens until MOD1 is completed with an instructor, followed by some hours with another CCR buddy. My current level is AN/DP with TDI. Due to Covid restrictions I couldn't finish Full Cave, but would like to do so on a CCR when possible

So, if I said I have a 38ft Bayliner that I'm taking to Canada for at least a week at a time and diving some of the more remote areas, is there a CCR unit you would trust to the job? This would be solo diving for practical purposes as my dive buddy intends to stay OC and only does one or two dives a day. I have an 8kw 220v genset, so power for fills/mixing isn't an issue, but I don't have tons of space, either.

Provided that the above mentioned constraints aren't a deal-breaker, is there a unit that stands out for such an application? I don't feel a need to break time or depth records and am focused on photography, so a simple, robust, and readily repairable unit would be ideal.

Lastly, my instructor swears by Revo, but I want to keep an open mind.

Thanks in advance.

20210910_135627.jpg

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on the CCR threads for the last year while fixing/updating my dive boat and am questioning whether I can justify going the CCR route (I really want to.) I'll leave compressor/booster questions to the proper sub-forum and try to stay focused. I also realize that nothing happens until MOD1 is completed with an instructor, followed by some hours with another CCR buddy. My current level is AN/DP with TDI. Due to Covid restrictions I couldn't finish Full Cave, but would like to do so on a CCR when possible

So, if I said I have a 38ft Bayliner that I'm taking to Canada for at least a week at a time and diving some of the more remote areas, is there a CCR unit you would trust to the job? This would be solo diving for practical purposes as my dive buddy intends to stay OC and only does one or two dives a day. I have an 8kw 220v genset, so power for fills/mixing isn't an issue, but I don't have tons of space, either.

Provided that the above mentioned constraints aren't a deal-breaker, is there a unit that stands out for such an application? I don't feel a need to break time or depth records and am focused on photography, so a simple, robust, and readily repairable unit would be ideal.

Lastly, my instructor swears by Revo, but I want to keep an open mind.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 712174
New, short list: Fathom, Tiburon, JJ, X, maybe Liberty, Optima

Used, short list: KISS Classic, Meg, any of the above.

Your outlined needs aren’t super unique, and instructor quality and availability will probably be more a limiting factor. That said, in your shoes, I’d probably get a Fathom. Robust, few batteries, no solenoid, relatively bulletproof, simple maintenance.

Other people will argue this here, but I'd advise against doing solo CCR in general. I'm not against solo diving, I love going solo on various OC configurations. The problem is that CCR has more incapacitating failure modes that are much more difficult to detect, troubleshoot, recover from alone - even if you have extensive training and experience.

Luckily that boat is big enough to bring some friends!

New, short list: Fathom, Tiburon, JJ, X, maybe Liberty, Optima

Used, short list: KISS Classic, Meg, any of the above.

Your outlined needs aren’t super unique, and instructor quality and availability will probably be more a limiting factor. That said, in your shoes, I’d probably get a Fathom. Robust, few batteries, no solenoid, relatively bulletproof, simple maintenance.
Thanks, I've been looking hard the Fathom given that it seems super simple in terms of construction and has Shearwater smarts. Do you dive one? I know there are only a few instructors listed on Fathom's site, so I'd probably have to fly to Tulum, which would be horrible :p

I dove a Revo for years. I would never dive another knowing what I known now that I didn’t know then.

I have over a 1000 hours diving solo on CCR. That’s not an issue imo.

I don’t like manual ccr, but that’s just me.

Other people will argue this here, but I'd advise against doing solo CCR in general. I'm not against solo diving, I love going solo on various OC configurations. The problem is that CCR has more incapacitating failure modes that are much more difficult to detect, troubleshoot, recover from alone - even if you have extensive training and experience.

Luckily that boat is big enough to bring some friends!
That is certainly a concern I have, and I dive solo on OC about half the time. My tech instructor made the argument that any CCR dive is effectively a solo dive, but they have also written books on the subject, so I don't consider them a standard reference point.

I dove a Revo for years. I would never dive another knowing what I known now that I didn’t know then.

I have over a 1000 hours diving solo on CCR. That’s not an issue imo.

I don’t like manual ccr, but that’s just me.
Can you give specifics? If you think it might make the thread too spicy, a pm would be appreciated :)

How many hours after MOD1 would you consider solo to be reasonable? I didn't feel up to it on OC until I'd done a bunch dives and had done the first half of my cave cert, but I realize it's a personal thing.

Every CCR hás it's pros and cons. Maintenance, avaliability and so should be regarded
I myself use a inspirovsky (Inspiration Classic + AV1 Head), an Evo+, and a Sidewinder.
All have their ups and downs, most of my friends are Meg fans, and maybe one day i may take this route
Anyway, although It may look outdated, there is no place until now that i can't acomplish with the inspo. It simply works.
CCR solo os something that sometimes i do, but whenever possible, and for big dives a buddy is better.
Take a good look around and, If possible, make some trys. I take the inspiration nearly by opportunity, but if i were start today maybe take other unity, mainly because is what others around choose. Anyway, i am not regreted, just like my units.
For the Sidewinder, it's quite nice, but for ocean boat diving o prefer BM
Regards

Very doable. don't know how much diving you are planning, but toss in a keg of sorb and some bottles of O2 and DIL (in your case probably just air). A small compressor to drive a booster (as you stated, different discussion). Wouldn't be hard at all to rack up a bunch of hours.

Since you are discussing going cave on CCR, I would let that guide your path for what rebreather to get.

How many hours after MOD1 would you consider solo to be reasonable? I didn't feel up to it on OC until I'd done a bunch dives and had done the first half of my cave cert, but I realize it's a personal thing.
I'm glad you asked that way. Hope this doesn't derail your thread too much. The following is opinion not gospel...

When I was a newbie I thought solo diving was insanely dangerous. Buddy system forever!! But with practice and experience I now love solo diving and feel safe doing it on open circuit.

I admit I'm a baby CCR diver compared to some posters on this forum, but I don't think I'll ever get to a point where I feel safe diving rebreathers alone.

In open circuit diving I'd say its totally reasonable for a skilled, experienced, healthy diver with solo or basic tech training (around 100-200 dives ) to dive alone. Be competent, know what redundant gear to use, and have a very high level of comfort and control in the water. Be able to handle regulator failures, entanglements, lost masks etc. calmly and confidently.

The problem with CCR is that you CAN'T compensate for some emergencies with skills and experience. In my opinion there is no skill level where it becomes safe to dive alone on current generation rebreathers. The reason is that all of the normal issues with open circuit apply, plus CCRs can begin supplying bad gas resulting in a loss of mental/motor capacity or unconsciousness before you catch the problem and resolve it. Rebreathers have insidious failure modes where only a buddy can save you. I know people will say "but you can feel CO2 buildup!" and "thats why you always watch your PO2!". Those things may be true, but there are many solo CCR fatalities of extremely experienced well-respected divers.

Lots of people dive solo on rebreathers. I'm sure it's a wonderful experience doing long silent dives alone. Everyone has their own risk/reward calculation and that's fine. Think it through and make your own decision. It's my personal stance is to avoid the temptation of solo CCR no matter how comfortable or skilled I get on the loop. At least until future generations of rebreathers come out with better sensors and monitoring. When I want to go solo I go open circuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom