Question CCR Suggestion for Remote Boating Trips - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on the CCR threads for the last year while fixing/updating my dive boat and am questioning whether I can justify going the CCR route (I really want to.) I'll leave compressor/booster questions to the proper sub-forum and try to stay focused. I also realize that nothing happens until MOD1 is completed with an instructor, followed by some hours with another CCR buddy. My current level is AN/DP with TDI. Due to Covid restrictions I couldn't finish Full Cave, but would like to do so on a CCR when possible

So, if I said I have a 38ft Bayliner that I'm taking to Canada for at least a week at a time and diving some of the more remote areas, is there a CCR unit you would trust to the job? This would be solo diving for practical purposes as my dive buddy intends to stay OC and only does one or two dives a day. I have an 8kw 220v genset, so power for fills/mixing isn't an issue, but I don't have tons of space, either.

Provided that the above mentioned constraints aren't a deal-breaker, is there a unit that stands out for such an application? I don't feel a need to break time or depth records and am focused on photography, so a simple, robust, and readily repairable unit would be ideal.

Lastly, my instructor swears by Revo, but I want to keep an open mind.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 712174

This is like asking what kind of truck to buy, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, GMC, etc. You will get all kinds of opinions based on there personal preferences of unit the person answering you owns. But really any of the mainstream units on the market will work for your application.

You mentioned you have a dive instructor that teaches on the Revo then I would probably go with a unit like that. Also what units do you other divers in your area dive?? Reason is now you will have access to dive instructor support or local dive buddies support.

It is really nice when your local instructor and a couple other local divers are on the same units. Nice to bounce thought off each other, if you need parts, etc.

Have you looked at Triton CCR? Recycleur | Triton CCR space wise besides Side Winder not many will be as small... As well it can adapt to any config you already diving in, back or side mount.
Since the build of the unit is pretty simple mechanical unit, you have less chance of failures and remote field repair will certainly be easier while having a set of spare parts will neither be a big use of space.

But really any of the mainstream units on the market will work for your application.

I am going to contradict myself here.

The Triton would be one of the exceptions of units I would not recommend for your application as it is not easy to field repair or get spare parts. I bought a Triton to use as a bail out unit in conjunction with my JJ and for cave diving however I am not impressed at all with the customer service (it is soooo bad), availably of parts, and the Monox secondary computer. So much so that I had the entire Monox system ripped off and put on a second hardwired in Petrel. Also the ADV was the worst to get parts for, its actually based off of a Beuchat second stage (French...) so I threw that chunk of garbage away and put on a custom Apeks xtx50 adv. Lastly also had to make some modifications to the MAV and gas lines to allow for offboard to be plugged in.

But that being said I really like the unit now with my modifications and it is amazing as a BO unit but it is a very very specific unit for a very very specific type of diving.

Lastly closest instructor to BC would be Asia or the EU so not really a practical unit for BC area.

ooh ahh
A small compressor to drive a booster

I would be interested in some suggestions thanks

You mentioned you have a dive instructor that teaches on the Revo then I would probably go with a unit like that. Also what units do you other divers in your area dive?? Reason is now you will have access to dive instructor support or local dive buddies support.

he's on a boat mate not around the fire with his instructor and buddies singin kumbaya

so buy a Tritons with the right stuff in the first place or two

he's on a boat mate not around the fire with his instructor and buddies singin kumbaya

so buy a Tritons with the right stuff in the first place or two

The OP (please don't take this in the wrong way, no offence just trying to make a proper justification for you) is just an AN/DP diver that has not even done his MOD1 and you expect him to go out and buy a unit that has no support in Canada or even the US and he should just know what parts to stock up on (and have the extra cash to buy alot of part that he may or may not need) and how to fix everything thing on the unit by himself, especially electronic issues with the dive computer that can only be sent to France for service.

Meanwhile he has access to an instructor that dives a Revo and Revo parts are readily available in N. America along with Revo support. And lots of information on line about Revo's and problem solving.

Like I said nothing wrong with buying a Triton but if you read the OP's requirement and what he is looking for I don't know if that fits what he is looking for.

All CCR dives are solo dives whether or not you dive with buddies.

Since MOD1 I’ve dived fully solo for most of my dives on a Revo which, IMHO, has far more resilience than most rebreathers and is the reason I chose that unit.

From what you’ve said, you appear to be a solo-oriented OC diver. Take that attitude into your MOD1 and all’s fine. You already don’t rely on others and CCR, although more complex, doesn’t change that. CCR requires a much more pedantic approach to kit preparation and monitoring during diving. Constant practice with bailing and other drills will sharpen your skills.

Revo’s work well. The fully redundant electronics, five cells, two scrubbers, hybrid manual with automatic backup means you know what’s going on but have the computer to inject should you get distracted.

This is like asking what kind of truck to buy, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, GMC, etc. You will get all kinds of opinions based on there personal preferences of unit the person answering you owns. But really any of the mainstream units on the market will work for your application.

It is really nice when your local instructor and a couple other local divers are on the same units. Nice to bounce thought off each other, if you need parts, etc.
The OP also stated they plan to go cave diving on CCR. That was why I suggested looking at the cave crowd for a CCR that works better in caves. I don't cave dive, but know enough that some rebreathers are better suited for caves than others. This would avoid the buying another rebreather to change to cave diving.

Since I'm supposed to support the brand rebreather I dive, the OP should clearly get a rEvo.
Not making any cave claims on it, but it is a nice easy to maintain rebreather. The counterlungs are really easy to clean up after diving. Parts availability is really good, even better since Mares now distributes the parts. Perfect? None of them are. But I feel it is a good rebreather for entry level to moderate rebreather use. The twin scrubber would be good for keeping consumables (sorb) under control on a boat. When (if?) I get beyond the MOD2 level of diving I may consider a different rebreather.

Very true about the Ford/Chevy dichotomy; at the time I was thinking more in terms of compact vs. 4x4 truck. Both have 4 wheels, but are good at very difference tasks (I avoid driving my truck into the city as much as possible.) However, excepting the sidemount-type units, it sounds like most units are pretty similar.

I definitely have not ruled out the Revo, I just know the instructor I mentioned has very strong opinions on the subject, and wanted to hear from others as well.

I don't know too many CCR divers in my area yet (for some reason they don't like diving with OC folks very much...🙃) but three are on Megs, and two of those are thinking of switching to Revos.

The OP (please don't take this in the wrong way, no offence just trying to make a proper justification for you) is just an AN/DP diver that has not even done his MOD1 and you expect him to go out and buy a unit that has no support in Canada or even the US and he should just know what parts to stock up on (and have the extra cash to buy alot of part that he may or may not need) and how to fix everything thing on the unit by himself, especially electronic issues with the dive computer that can only be sent to France for service.

Meanwhile he has access to an instructor that dives a Revo and Revo parts are readily available in N. America along with Revo support. And lots of information on line about Revo's and problem solving.

Like I said nothing wrong with buying a Triton but if you read the OP's requirement and what he is looking for I don't know if that fits what he is looking for.
No offense taken, as you mention, I'm just an AN/DP diver with minimal cave experience, so I appreciate the folks here keeping me far from Dunning and Kruger. By aggregating everything I learn here, I'll have a much better idea of how to proceed.

As far the the Triton goes, right now it feels like a highly specific use unit like the Sidewinder (great in caves, less so elsewhere...)

No offense taken, as you mention, I'm just an AN/DP diver with minimal cave experience, so I appreciate the folks here keeping me far from Dunning and Kruger. By aggregating everything I learn here, I'll have a much better idea of how to proceed.

As far the the Triton goes, right now it feels like a highly specific use unit like the Sidewinder (great in caves, less so elsewhere...)
Note that the Sidewinder is the cousin of the Spirit LTE, which is back-mounted but otherwise mostly the same. These are very light weight, robust, and dead simple to service and maintain. It would be a great unit to use on a trip like you describe. I've been diving on KISS units since 2007 with well over 1,000 dives on these units.

I don't like eCCR, but that's just me.

A number of people on this thread have suggested that I take cave aptitude into consideration when choosing a unit, as I do plan on doing more cave diving. Given that the general consensus seems to be that most units will do well on my boat (which will be 95% of my diving), would it also be safe to say that most units would be good for moderate cave diving as well? If I'm getting to pushing gear through a restriction, I think I'll be looking at a second, specialized unit like a Sidewinder to suplement my primary unit. Or am I missing something? Without ruling out any other units, my short list of candidates is JJ, Revo, Tiburon, and Fathom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom