Question CCR Suggestion for Remote Boating Trips - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelvin at 3rd dimension is literally 3 blocks from Protec Tulum. He used to instruct through Protec. He is your fathom option down there. I've never seen a revo at protec, though I haven't used them in a few years. They are heavy into the sidewinder for sure.
The Protec website mentions the Revo, but maybe it's out of date info? I know they love their 'winder, but I have reason to think it's both a lousy first unit, and not ideal for boat diving, so I'm pretty much ruling it out.

Great to know about Kelvin, hopefully he and Protec are still on good terms.

The Protec website mentions the Revo, but maybe it's out of date info? I know they love their 'winder, but I have reason to think it's both a lousy first unit, and not ideal for boat diving, so I'm pretty much ruling it out.

this is wise. I have one and it's a colossal pita to dive off a boat

Yes, they're on good terms. All friends. A group of us were supposed to go to Truk in June and both Kelvin and Kim (from protec) were going. So no bad blood

I have an authorized repair shop a few hours away, and was actually going to call them later today regarding what to expect for maintenance costs.

If the Fathom had a hybrid option I'd be giving it a really hard look, but I believe the whole point of the Fathom is that it's a dirt simple mCCR, so I don't see that option happening. Maybe as I learn more I'll change my mind, but needle valves seem to have some real virtues.
I have been researching switching from OC to buying a rebreather on and off for many years ~10yrs ish (reading lots of boards, talking with CCR divers I cross paths with and reading training material from various authors highly respected in the rebreather community (Should out to Dr. Mel Clark for her straight forward info packed easy-to-read texts).

I finally pulled the trigger on buying a new unit a couple weeks ago (I will receive it and begin training in July).

I preface all this because I AM NOT an experienced rebreather diver like many others contributing to this great thread (so please excuse oversights in my opinion- but hope to be corrected)... I thought I would add my thought process because of that reason, it's entirely different to anything provided. -this was also the reason for my hesitation to post.

I think it's important to determine what base style rebreather (eCCR, hCCR, mCCR) appeals to you most then divert into what units are available for that style. This was even hard for me because there are so many positives to each type of unit.
  1. I wanted to minimize electronics on my first CCR - I loved the concept of the leaky valve which ensures life supporting O2 (at my base metabolic rate) is always being fed into the loop. A fixed orifice with ZERO moving parts, ensuring the feed of base O2 was very appealing to me.
  2. The idea of redundant independent axial scrubber canisters also appealed to me, air being scrubbed going into the counter lung and again leaving the counter lung through an entirely different scrubber (although understanding this doubles potential failure points, connections, o-rings, ect...vs 1 large)
  3. Size and weight were also a consideration as I plan to be traveling with the unit.
  4. Reliability, versatility, and ease of repair.
  5. Support network
  6. Training Availability in SE Wisconsin - (Primarily wreck dive Great Lakes)
This is just a quick list of what appealed to me, which lead to me purchasing a KISS Orca Spirit.

You mentioned wanting to move into cave diving in the future, this is also my hope as well. The KISS Orca Spirit has a conversion kit and can be turned into a Sidewinder if that's where things migrate in the future for tight spaces.

The couple 15+ year experienced instructors i talked to that teach on multiple brands said if you stick with it, your first CCR unit will likely not be your last or possibly only one.

That being said, you stated earlier into this thread that getting a new unit every 10yrs or so is likely possible, you could pickup other used units and try different kinds over time.

Keep us updated I'd love to hear what unit you end up with and for what reasons 👍

Have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter which rebreather you decide to go for initially. What does matter is that you stick to it; practice incessantly; sort out your core rebreather drills and skills; and go diving only on that unit for as many hours as you can in the first couple of years.

Even if the unit's not for you, you've learned why that's the case and all the skills will be -- to some degree or other -- transferable to future units should you change over.

I think if you are solo-ing you would want something with a solenoid and perhaps a CMF. I have a revo and they have both, in the hCCR. But I don't think you should solo on a rebreather, I have soloed once for 20 min's in a 130 hours of CCR diving, and regret ruining my perfect record. However I accept that some people do it.

My revo instructor recently became an instructor on a Choptima and when I asked him why the Choptima verus say a triton (as perhaps a BOB) he said he wanted something with a solenoid. Makes sense to me, and I know people that have used them in Sidemount Only caves.

I think if you are solo-ing you would want something with a solenoid and perhaps a CMF. I have a revo and they have both, in the hCCR. But I don't think you should solo on a rebreather, I have soloed once for 20 min's in a 130 hours of CCR diving, and regret ruining my perfect record. However I accept that some people do it.

My revo instructor recently became an instructor on a Choptima and when I asked him why the Choptima verus say a triton (as perhaps a BOB) he said he wanted something with a solenoid. Makes sense to me, and I know people that have used them in Sidemount Only caves.

Do you require an additional person in the car with you, when you drive to the dive site? Not that I have an issue with your mantra of "Never dive CCR without a buddy" but that could be easily carried over to other stuff. Like the ride to the dive site.

Do you require an additional person in the car with you, when you drive to the dive site? Not that I have an issue with your mantra of "Never dive CCR without a buddy" but that could be easily carried over to other stuff. Like the ride to the dive site.
Ironically the time I soloed on a CCR I had just forced My buddy to bail out whilst
doing a bubble check.

He later found out that there was a crack in his Revo lid. Oddly it didn’t show up in a neg on the surface and he only found it later running a pos. Underwater. He may not have found it himself I.e. turning turtle and look for bubbles because most of the pressure is on the DSV in that situation.

Anyway I thought I’d just do a quick 15 min to the bottom of lake and back rather than get out. Uneventful but as I say ruined my record.

Every dive is a solo dive. Sometimes you dive with other divers. Only you are responsible for yourself and especially if diving using a rebreather.

Was this "must have a buddy" principle derived from novice training?

Every dive is a solo dive. Sometimes you dive with other divers. Only you are responsible for yourself and especially if diving using a rebreather.

Was this "must have a buddy" principle derived from novice training?

Apparently the “don’t dive solo” thing came from swimming at the beginning of recreational dive training, from what I have read. There is a “don’t swim alone” mentality that had existed for a while before dive training started in the 1950s in California.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom