Question CCR Suggestion for Remote Boating Trips - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That one is on my list as well and was actually at the top before Leon moved to Texas. Before that ISC was an hour from my house... Just curious, have you ever heard of putting a leaky valve on one? Or does the design make that untenable?
In factory configuration, I don’t believe there is a way to install a leaky valve. Once you have BMCL’s you can use one.

But the way I feel about it, if you’re going to use a leaky valve to control your desired setpoint….just let the solenoid do the work.

...if you’re going to use a leaky valve to control your desired setpoint….just let the solenoid do the work.
It's a personal approach thing. I like to run my unit manually as I want to know what's going on. However I'm very happy with the computer and solenoid being there should I not be taking notice; some people refer to this as "parachute mode".

Other people are happy letting the computer run the show. I'm not one of those people (probably why I bought the Revo in the first place).

It's a personal approach thing. I like to run my unit manually as I want to know what's going on. However I'm very happy with the computer and solenoid being there should I not be taking notice; some people refer to this as "parachute mode".

Other people are happy letting the computer run the show. I'm not one of those people (probably why I bought the Revo in the first place).
I dont follow? what do you have your set point at? with a leaky valve I hardly ever hear the solonoid anyway what po2 do you get to before you manual add?

I understand how people use them together, I just don's see the point.

Set your controller setpoint, and use the MAV's to fly "manual".

I dont follow? what do you have your set point at? with a leaky valve I hardly ever hear the solonoid anyway what po2 do you get to before you manual add?
I have my controller setpoint at 0.7 or 1.2 and run it manually using the MAV block at 1.3 or as high as possible when shallow on decompression stops (setpoints set with regard to CNS, etc.). With the single MAV block on my RH shoulder it's really easy to reach with both hands, just as with my suit inflate and wing inflate.

It makes me happy knowing that this forces me to always know my PPO2 and predict what it should be during an ascent/descent otherwise the solenoid will issue its hissy rebuke.

That one is on my list as well and was actually at the top before Leon moved to Texas. Before that ISC was an hour from my house... Just curious, have you ever heard of putting a leaky valve on one? Or does the design make that untenable?
Leon/ISC actually makes a hCCR conversion kit to turn an eCCR v2.7 Meg into a hCCR. Going from mCCR to eCCR is obviously much more involved since the factory will need to add considerable electronics. I am not sure if his current models support that kit or not. I suspect they might as its just a T in the O2 feed right before the solenoid with an orifice on the side of the T.

He doesn't advertise the kit and pretty much hates hybrids. All the weaknesses of both designs and no upsides.

If the Fathom had a hybrid option I'd be giving it a really hard look, but I believe the whole point of the Fathom is that it's a dirt simple mCCR, so I don't see that option happening. Maybe as I learn more I'll change my mind, but needle valves seem to have some real virtues.
In your position I would be looking at a modern eCCR Meg (not the 2015 or 2.7), a JJ, one of the iQsub offerings, or the Fathom.

Forget hybrids. The only reason hybrids are popular with Revo fans is because Revos chew threw batteries like crazy. A Meg battery lasts 25-50 hours. Same for JJs and XCCR. With no solenoid the Fathom battery lasts even longer. "To save the battery" is seriously the worst possibly reason to choose a hybrid.

The only reason hybrids are popular with Revo fans is because Revos chew threw batteries like crazy.
Errm, mine doesn’t. Think I’ve had three PP3 batteries in the last 120 hours. About the same for SAFT batteries on the Petrel.

But then the only time the solenoid fires is when building the unit to check the voltage, in the pre-jump check, or if I’m not paying attention. PP3 batteries are the little 9V batteries common in smoke alarms and available everywhere.

In your position I would be looking at a modern eCCR Meg (not the 2015 or 2.7), a JJ, one of the iQsub offerings, or the Fathom.

Forget hybrids. The only reason hybrids are popular with Revo fans is because Revos chew threw batteries like crazy. A Meg battery lasts 25-50 hours. Same for JJs and XCCR. With no solenoid the Fathom battery lasts even longer. "To save the battery" is seriously the worst possibly reason to choose a hybrid.
ProTec has most of those available at their shop (Fathom isn't listed), as well as the Revo, and I've had good experiences working with them in the past. My plan now is to head down there as soon as I can, talk about the different models in person, pick one for MOD1, then do test dives on the others. The only part I don't like about that is I won't be able to have help configuring the unit I ultimately buy unless I get it priority shipped down there, or buy something local (not my preference.)

Edit: I see Jon Kieren and Kelvin Davidson are in Quintana Roo, so I might be able to look at a Fathom.

ProTec has most of those available at their shop (Fathom isn't listed), as well as the Revo, and I've had good experiences working with them in the past. My plan now is to head down there as soon as I can, talk about the different models in person, pick one for MOD1, then do test dives on the others. The only part I don't like about that is I won't be able to have help configuring the unit I ultimately buy unless I get it priority shipped down there, or buy something local (not my preference.)
Kelvin at 3rd dimension is literally 3 blocks from Protec Tulum. He used to instruct through Protec. He is your fathom option down there. I've never seen a revo at protec, though I haven't used them in a few years. They are heavy into the sidewinder for sure.

Back
Top Bottom