Caymans visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac:
So, your choices are to Little Cayman.. Island Air, and watch out for extra baggage charges.
Cayman Air also flies to Little Cayman and the Brac now. I wonder if Cayman Air is better/different than Island Air about the luggage on the small planes?

Damselfish:
Cayman Air also flies to Little Cayman and the Brac now. I wonder if Cayman Air is better/different than Island Air about the luggage on the small planes?

We have flown to the Sister Islands on Cayman Airways small planes (Twin otters) twice in the past six months. The baggage limit is the same as Island Air, but we have not had to deal with luggage arrivals on the next plane or send it back a day early as was sometimes the case with Island Air.

We are going back to the Brac this week on Cayman. Hopefully,the service will be as good as the past.

Viz was 100 ft + yesterday at Armchair Wall (SW Grand Cayman) & at Prospect Point Wall on Sat (S Grand Cayman).

nipi:
Viz was 100 ft + yesterday at Armchair Wall (SW Grand Cayman) & at Prospect Point Wall on Sat (S Grand Cayman).

i think i may have seen you swimming in from the site, were you part of a group of three or four? I was swimming out when this group was swimming in, at about 1.00pm ish.

Good to see the tarpon have finally reaturned

We dived Turtle Reef yesterday morning and found it to still be as great as always. We're having breakfast at Cobalt Coast as I type. Vis was probably 80+. Has anyone been to Sunset House? Is the Mermaid still okay?
Mike
Cincy

BG - yes that was us - were you alone? We didn't get to the ledge where the tarpon are as we went left on the main wall. Saw a school of 25 blue parrotfish in the sand flats. Did the mini-wall at night last week & there were some wierd currents around.

MB - the Mermaid is OK as is the Nicholson though a whole pile of sand washed up underneath it so I'm not sure what's happened to the green moray who used to live there.

Hi,

Yes i was on my own, i prefer diving with a buddy, but sometimes there are none to be found, so i dig my pony bottle out and go for a dive on my own.

How far out is the main wall, what is it like? Is it similar to what it is like at Sunset or unique in any way? I always thought the wall would be miles out in that area.

The main wall is about another 10 mins out from the mini wall. We usually descend on the mini wall & then hop from coral head to coral head out to the main wall. The wall has wide sand chutes & is quite steep though not sheer. It is quite deep here on top of the wall (70-80) feet compared to other spots.

It's not really like the wall at Sunset which as I guess you know is far more continuous (though there is that one chute just off the Nicholson). From George Town the wall is more continuous from Eden Rock south past Don Fosters, Seaview, Sunset, old Blue Parrot. Once you get past Jackson Point it gets more broken up like Armchair, then Smith Cove, Eagle Ray Rock & where the buoys for Black Forest & Blackie's Hole used to be. The furthest south I've been of the shore is off Betty's apartments which are south of Windsor Village. Even if you could get to Sand Key from the shore (or the spot where Sand Key used to be) the currents can be pretty strong there around Kent's Caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom