Trip Report Caymans Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

86 degrees seems very warm for the 1st week of June, I hope that does not portend a heavy bleaching year

Last year mid-may I remember it showing 82-84 (there was a thermocline around 70ft) - i feel like it's a bit warmer for this time of the year for sure. Hopefully it stays steady at 86 and doesn't rise to much more. That being said, I have no plans on taking anything but board shorts and rashguard....which is what I try to dive in most of the time.

We just returned from a week at LCBR. Diving was splendid. Absolutely minimal bleaching. Brain and moon corals in excellent condition. Overall stonies were in excellent shape. Swim throughs were superb. Complete opposite to both Bonaire and Cozumel.

I was surprised to see the reefs in such good condition. My biased opinion of the “absence” of SCTLD is the lack of cruise ships visiting the island. The Nassau Grouper has made a commendable come back since we were last there. There were dozens on each dive. We saw reef sharks, turtles, squid, eagle rays and the usual cast of characters. No shortage of fish at all.

I highly recommend diving there now. They limit you to 60mins per dive but that’s more than enough for me. Together with great rooms and food, this is a fantastic place to dive right now.
How did you make out with flights this time?

How did you make out with flights this time?
Getting there was a breeze but getting back was problematic because of rain storms on the entire Cayman group of islands. No biggie and no one to blame but the weather gods. CA seems to have their act together.

I've started flying in a day early into Grand so I can get on the early flight on Saturdays....that seemed to work good last May (2023)

Cayman Trip Report

Our trip this year consisted of two trips in one - 5 nights on Little Cayman and 5 nights on Grand Cayman.

JetBlue nonstop from JFK arrived on a Wed morning. GC airport quiet and empty at 10:30 AM. Took the Georgetown Yacht Club shuttle over for lunch. Thanks to all on SB for this great tip. Greeter at the airport called the shuttle, we were picked up around 11:15 AM, had a nice lunch and we were back at the airport in plenty of time for our 2:30 PM flight to LC

On LC, we were met at the small airport by staff from the Southern Cross Club. First time staying at the SCC and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the diving, the meals and the serenity. Staff amazing all around. Food was excellent. Loved our unit with an outdoor private shower – never used the one inside. Beautiful full moon and saw the southern cross and milky way.

4 days of two tank am boat diving. The diving was very good, weather was great and seas calm. Vis was good out on the walls at depth, maybe 80’ to 100’ but less and varied in the shallows, maybe 60’-80’. Water temp consistently 86 except on the deepest part of our deep dives. Boat never crowded with 8 on our boat the first two days, 6 on our third, 12 on our 4th. I enjoyed our deep dives on the walls and swim throughs the most. Highlight dive was on the site Eagle Ray Round up where we saw turtles, a seahorse, eagle rays and a hammerhead. The eagle rays put on a ballet and the hammerhead made two passes while we were in the sand finishing our viewing of the eagle rays. An abundance of grouper and some of the biggest lobster I have ever seen. Saw a bridled burrfish (one on GC too).

I did not notice what others have said about the lack of fish, bleaching and disease. I did notice storm damage and it was pointed out that in some places and sites, the storms provided some benefit – some swim throughs that were just about closed in due to the tightness of space were cleaned out by the winter storms. In at least one, a swim through that they could barely squeeze through before the storm- had a 10’ opening in the shallows expanding to about 17’ on the wall at depth. You could see along the reef in some places where the sand was washed away exposing coral reef that had been covered up with sand.

Monday AM flight to GC and again the airport was empty and a breeze to get through. Quick car pickup at Avis and off to West Bay and Coconut Bay Condos. Dove Hepps Pipeline from CBCs and Turtle Reef for 5 days. Weather was fine, diving was good but vis was also down and varied. Saw the usual suspects and observed storm damage in the shallows and on the tops of the mini walls. Silversides in the ladder area at Turtle Reef were nice to see. Nat and crew were working on their shop and dive set up area at TR. Everything looked good but I did not see the gear drying racks I remember using but maybe they were on the list. Macabucu was great as usual.

Enjoyed being back in GC but lots of development since our last trip in 2018. We stayed up in West Bay the entire time. Heard a number of folks complaining about the development and the unusually hot May. The number of new large buildings going up everywhere including West Bay was disconcerting and disappointing. One large building up under construction right next to Turtle Reef and CBC. I didn’t even recognize Lighthouse point with the new buildings nearby.

Overall we had a great dive trip.View attachment 844088View attachment 844090View attachment 844091View attachment 844093https://youtu.be/YDaFULhiSq0?si=hH_4b4rdrpf2oUbN
great shots!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom