Cayman's East End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've been weighing our options on west side(cheaper) vs. east side(better diving). I think we're gonna do the east side.

The wife has been doing the travel research and I believe she said the only place with vacancies on the east side when we want to go is the Dive Lodge. The plan was: if we stay on the west side, we would dive with Caymancasey @ Neptunes Divers...if we stay on the east side we would dive with Drew Sailbum @ Tortuga. Dive Lodge is a package so if we go there we won't get to dive with either....although the plans have not yet been solidified.

Drew, if we end up not getting to dive with you, maybe we can at least meet up one evening for a beer if your not busy.

DocVikingo, judging from the info you give out here on the board, if you stayed at the Dive Lodge, then it's got to be a good place to stay. I went back through the CDL website and saw where they said they cover the transfers. I gave their site a pretty good going over before I posted..I don't know how I missed it. Anyhows, thanks.

Oh, and one more question. Drew, you say CDL is in East End Village. What exactly is East End Village? I know there isn't much on that side of the island. I have found some really good printable maps of the rest of the island on the internet, but I can't seem to find any good maps of the east side.
Is the East End Village the 2 convenience stores and the traffic light you spoke of (if I recall correctly) or is there more to it than that? Also, do you know of any websites with good maps of the east end?...and can we rent a car for a day on the east side or are all the car rental places on the west side?...that was more than one question, wasn't it?..

I've been lurking the Cayman threads for awhile now, and going back thru old threads and what not, and Drew Sailbum, CaymanCasey and DocVikingo, you all have been a great source of info. Thank you.

I guess you posted while I was typing my post. Thanks for the info. It sounds like a cool place...it's still a month away and I'm getting excited!
:bang:

Zagnut, you won't need a map of East End. There's not much there! The best way to rent from there is to go back to the airport. You can use your return transfer to take you back, pick up your car and drive back out on your own.

The CDL package does look like you're spending more, but the one time we stayed in 7 mile beach (first timer friends booked the pkg), we never got away with less then US$100 for dinner for 2. Nothing fancy and only a drink each. Lunches for 2 were at least $30. We had a kitchen and bought some groceries but never really had time to make anything because we had to catch a van to the dive boat for the afternoon.

I'm very jealous. We're going to the Keys in July. Sure wish I was going back to Cayman! Hope you have great time (tell Rico NO BEAR JOKES!)

Dive Lodge is a great, affordable way to see East End diving. But there may be options other than just the resorts. Check out On the Bay Condos for another option.

I might be able to squeeze in a beer one night. Wherever you stay, drop in and introduce yourself.

Grand Cayman is divided into districts. Each district is named for the largest town/village there. When people talk about East End, they are usually talking about East End district - roughly the eastern third of the island. The village of East End is quite small by comparison, and is roughly located on the southeast tip of the island.

Not much detail is needed to navigate East End, but a nice Cayman Islands map can point out the basics of what's where. East End district does have two gas stations and a small grocery store, but no traffic light.

You can rent a car on East End from McCurley's - the same folks that do the airport transfers for all the EE resorts (including CDL). Call them at (345)-947-9626.

Back
Top Bottom