Cayman's East End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
The wife and I are looking at the Cayman Diving Lodge for a long weekend trip around July 17th. I've read the other threads about Cayman's east end and it sounds great. I would appreciate any input you all would have about Cayman Diving Lodge.

I have a couple of questions. I understand the airport is near Georgetown. How many miles is it to the east end/ Cayman Diving Lodge from the airport...or should I say how long (timewise) is the ride?

Does the Lodge take care of transfers from the airport or do you have to furnish your own transportation to the east side?

If you have to provide your own transportation, how much would a taxi ride to the Cayman Diving Lodge cost coming from the airport?

Is there a bus that would be cheaper and still be convienient? Or would I end up waiting around a long time for a bus that could take me to the east end? Would a taxi be the best way to go?

Anything else I might need to know?.....What's the Skinny on this place?...

I'll be staying at the Reef Resort (on the east end) and also need some advice. I know Ocean Frontiers picks up divers at the Reef. I may use them but want to know what other good dive operators are available from there.

Also if you have 5 days of diving and staying on east end, how would you spend it (my first time to Cayman). Stick to the east end? Use other operators in the North, South, West? Shore Diving in the afternoon?

Are there good restaraunts on the east side excluding resort restaurants or do you need to go to Georgetown for fine dining for evening dinner.

Thanks

Was just there in April.

1. (Q) I understand the airport is near Georgetown. How many miles is it to the east end/ Cayman Diving Lodge from the airport...or should I say how long (timewise) is the ride?

(A) About a 1/2 hour.

2. (Q) Does the Lodge take care of transfers from the airport or do you have to furnish your own transportation to the east side?

(A) Included in the package.

3. (Q) If you have to provide your own transportation, how much would a taxi ride to the Cayman Diving Lodge cost coming from the airport?

(A) Don't even think about it. I was quoted between $75-$100 dollars.

4. (Q) Is there a bus that would be cheaper and still be convienient? Or would I end up waiting around a long time for a bus that could take me to the east end? Would a taxi be the best way to go?

(A) There is a bus, but I understand that in general it's not at all convenient or speedy.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Heavens no.

Porto Fino on the far eastern tip is a most excellent place to eat. Super brunch.

Onsite restaurant at Morritt's (next to Reef Resort), David's is good, as is your onsite, Castro's Hideaway at The Reef.

I also like the Lighthouse, although it is a bit of drive from the Reef Resort, over in Breakers.

Of course, the George Town/SMB area does have some excellent places if you wish to make the trip.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

and am going back next year. That should speak for itself.

Great location, great facility, AWESOME food (which can be a concern in east end because there are just SOOO many restaurants to choose from), great staff, great diving, ... want me to keep going?

Can I stow away in your luggage? :wink:

Seriously though, check their website and read through some of the daily dive logs.

1) Airport is on the west side near G'Town. Ride out to CDL is probably closer to 40 minutes, with heavy traffic in evening rush hour making for an even longer ride. Distance is about 19 miles or so.

2) Check with CDL, but I think they include airport transfers.

3) Taxi! :haha: For the price of a one way taxi ride, you can rent a car for the day. It would cost about $60 USD.

4) Bus? Yes. Cheaper? Yes. Convenient? :rolleyes: No. No schedule, and only marginally fixed routes. No pick up at airport. Forget it.

Reference the archives for more on East End diving. In short, there are only three operators: Tortuga Divers, Cayman Dive Lodge, and Ocean Frontiers. Tortuga is at Morritt's Tortuga Club and next door to The Royal Reef. CDL is in East End village. Ocean Frontiers is in Sand Bluff, between TD and CDL, about 3 miles from the Morritt's and Royal Reef resorts. Ocean Frontiers does van pick ups, or you can walk next door and depart the dock at Morritt's with Tortuga.

If you only had 5 days on GC, then dive 5 days on East End. Shore diving is limited out East, but there is some. Go into town on a day with cruise ships and you'll never want to leave East End.

Restaurants:
Portofino, The Lighthouse, and Cecil's at Kaibo Yacht Club are all quite nice and you need not go into G'Town for them. Cecil's is in Northside, and Lighthouse is in Bodden Town district but still no traffic jams.

There are many good to excellent restaurants on GC, and any dive shop staffer can point out some winners. Stop in at Tortuga and I'll personally point out a few good ones.

I'm going to stop in GC to dive for one afternoon and the following morning before I have to do my surface interval thing and fly home the next morning. I will have spent 7 diving days on Little GC before I have this little stub period to dive on GC. To get in every last bit, I figure I must go someplace that does 2 tanks in the afternoon, so I can do that and then 2 tanks the next morning. Then that final afternoon I might go snorkling with my wife (who doesn't dive) and she'd like to go to Sting Ray City.
So my question is: would you go to Ocean Frontiers on the East End, which does an aftrnoon 2 tank (Cayman diving lodge does not) or....to Cobalt Coast with Divetech, which also does 2 tanks on the north side and has the advantage of being closer to SRCity. I"ve never dived anywhere on GC. Maybe this is so short a period it doesn't matter much, but I'd still like to maximize every dive opportunity (and use it as a chance to scope out diving for another trip some day).

I'd do the Ocean Frontiers dive without hesitation. I am on GC every March for two weeks for the last ten years and have done afternoon dives with them for 5 years. Very satisfied.

Don't forget The Edge and Over the Edge restaurants, although I agree the PortoFino probably presents itself the best on the East End.

Drew, Has the woman who used to do the BBQ on the way back to Boddentown gotten back into business?
Thanks TedJ

TedJ once bubbled...
Drew, Has the woman who used to do the BBQ on the way back to Boddentown gotten back into business?
Thanks TedJ

There have been signs of activity, but no regular schedule as of yet. One day last week was all.

They were closed down in a sweep cracking down on unlicensed premises. Apparently they have been getting that sorted out.

As to afternoon two tanks dives... more to come very soon on East End. Stay tuned.

We went back for our 3rd time in March and plan to go again next year. We go on 3-4 trips/yr and CDL is always one of them. We know we'll have a great week of diving and relaxation.

There are some nice dives on the North Wall, but the East End, IMO, is more spectacular wall, healthier and more interesting reefs, and the swim thru's and general interest of the sites wins hands down over the North or West.

The CDL pacakges include your airport transfers, lodging, dives and meals. It's about a 30 min ride from the airport and about 20 into Georgetown. Taxi's are very expensive. If you plan on doing any siteseeing you'd be better off renting a car for a few days. You will be far from everything so, if you want nightlife, shopping etc., this won't be the place for you.

CDL isn't a 5 star hotel, but since the updatig, the rooms are a good size, new furnishings and treatments, clean and comfortable. The meals were restaurant quality, and the dive staff is really good. You will never touch your gear from the time you arrive until you leave. You'll get as much or as little attention and assistance as you need both above and below the surface.

If you're considering taking any courses, I highly recommend doing them here. You will probably be the only student and the instructors spend as much time on things as you want or need. Julian & Eileen are our favorites, but all are good.

Last "tip," don't spend the extra money on the main floor ocean front rooms. They're not that much bigger, and there's lots of activity out in front because of the tank fill, wetsuit locker, rinse tubs and steps to the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom