Cayman Will Re-Open Borders to Visitors in March 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vaccination, test before leaving, test on arrival, quarantine on arrival, and for Communadians a test before leaving the destination and quarantine at home again. Is it worth it?

Vaccination, test before leaving, test on arrival, quarantine on arrival, and for Communadians a test before leaving the destination and quarantine at home again. Is it worth it?

I think that for the Canadians that it is on purpose. They want to discourage travel as much as possible. Can they even travel from province to province yet?

From a t.v. program Dec. 28th, a snippet I texted to my wife recently:

"“There are roughly 250 million Americans who are 18 years and older. According to Stack, there will be potentially enough doses of the two vaccines to immunize around 50 million Americans by March 1. Therefore, around 1 in 7 people in the country will have access to the vaccine between now and March.”"

Today in a professional e-mail digest, I saw mention it's anticipated the AstraZeneca vaccine (which just got approved in the U.K.) will likely be approved in the U.S. in April. From AMA Morning Rounds this morning:

"AstraZeneca vaccine likely will not be authorized in U.S. until April, administration health official says
The Hill (12/30, Weixel) reports that “the coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University is not likely to be authorized for use in the U.S. until April, a top...administration health official said Wednesday.” Moncef Slaoui, the chief science adviser for Operation Warp Speed, said, “We project, if everything goes well, that the readout and emergency use authorization may be granted somewhere early in the month of April.”"

Due to my workplace, I got my 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine Tuesday Dec. 29th (thankful for the blessing); the next is due around 4 weeks later (3 weeks if you got the Pfizer vaccine).

Oh, and the Moderna vaccine is for 18 years & older, the Pfizer vaccine for 16 years and older, and last I heard research trials hadn't started in children yet.

Long story short, it'll likely be well past March before a lot of people are ready to sweep back into the Caymans. But if you can get vaccinated early, aren't taking kids and don't like crowds...

I think that for the Canadians that it is on purpose. They want to discourage travel as much as possible. Can they even travel from province to province yet?
Some provinces had travel restrictions (Atlantic bubble). Some have mandatory 14 day self isolation rules for internal travel. Others have never had any internal restrictions. Travel between Ontario (second worse province) and British Columbia has never been restricted.

Long story short, it'll likely be well past March before a lot of people are ready to sweep back into the Caymans. But if you can get vaccinated early, aren't taking kids and don't like crowds...

I'm in the first category of people (health care) who are supposed to get the vaccine in Missouri - NOW - and have no idea where I could do so. Pharmacy and doc's offices don't have it, nor do they have recommendations. I think 'well past March' is right, with the emphasis being 'well past March'. :(

I'm in the first category of people (health care) who are supposed to get the vaccine in Missouri - NOW - and have no idea where I could do so.

I suggest phoning a Health Department; they may be able to direct you. If a local hospital got a batch and not enough people are agreeing and showing up to take it, and it's got a limited post-thaw shelf-life, they might let you have a dose.

Speaking of the Caymans, it's easy to lose track of the fact different nations have different options (or lack thereof). I was just reading that Indonesia is rolling out a Chinese vaccine and taking the contrarian approach of prioritizing young, mobile workers over the elderly, given that they hope to reduce transmission this way and may be less likely to get enough for everybody (compared to more developed, wealthier nations).

Here in the U.S., we've got very limited supplies of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but the Caymans government is, per Wikipedia just now:
"The Cayman Islands is a parliamentaryrepresentative democratic dependency. As a British Overseas Territories, Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state."

Does that mean they'll get vaccine from the U.K., or what's approved in the U.K. is approved in the Caymans, or what? I ask because the U.K. approved the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine recently; the U.S. likely won't until April.

Does anyone know what vaccines are being deployed in the Caymans? I take it the Pfizer vaccine is in use? But what about Moderna's and the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine?

I suggest phoning a Health Department; they may be able to direct you. If a local hospital got a batch and not enough people are agreeing and showing up to take it, and it's got a limited post-thaw shelf-life, they might let you have a dose.

Speaking of the Caymans, it's easy to lose track of the fact different nations have different options (or lack thereof). I was just reading that Indonesia is rolling out a Chinese vaccine and taking the contrarian approach of prioritizing young, mobile workers over the elderly, given that they hope to reduce transmission this way and may be less likely to get enough for everybody (compared to more developed, wealthier nations).

Here in the U.S., we've got very limited supplies of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but the Caymans government is, per Wikipedia just now:
"The Cayman Islands is a parliamentaryrepresentative democratic dependency. As a British Overseas Territories, Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state."

Does that mean they'll get vaccine from the U.K., or what's approved in the U.K. is approved in the Caymans, or what? I ask because the U.K. approved the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine recently; the U.S. likely won't until April.

Does anyone know what vaccines are being deployed in the Caymans? I take it the Pfizer vaccine is in use? But what about Moderna's and the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine?

Cayman Marl Road reported that 9750 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine arrived on a BA flight today.

My wife and I are over 65 and are in vaccination group 1C in Pennsylvania. I don't think we will not be fully vaccinated until sometime in the spring

Gov are saying most people will be vacinated by the end of the summer here in Canada. Still like there's still a long run way before diving options fully reopen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom