Cayman Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently got back from a great week in Cayman,here is a brief report.

A group of seven of us flew out of Houston on Cayman Airways. 2,3/4 hour non stop flight.Very easy.The rum punch makes for a good start to a trip. Rented 3 jeeps between us from Andys http://www.andys.ky/ and headed for our Condo. This was my seventh trip to Cayman. It is starting to feel like going home.

The experience level of our group varied quite a bit. I wanted to do some light deco dives with my Buddy Brian. His girlfriend Roxanne was OW certified 2 weeks before this trip. My wife Christa and our friends Raff,Jennifer and Jason like shallow(ish) easy going dives.

Shore diving seemed the way to go so that everybody got to do the dives they wanted to. Cheaper as well

We stayed at the Coconut Bay Condos about 2 minutes walk north of Divetech at the Turtle Farm.Nice,very large townhouses.3 minute walk to the ocean from our unit. The only downside was the family from Illinois next door who insisted on barbecuing on their patio while having drunken raucous sing alongs to Jimmy Buffet. Got tedious after the first 4 hours.

Day 1.
Dive1.Brian and I did the "Big Wall" off from Divetech. The plan was 130 for 25 (Double Al 80's with air and Al 40 with 80% for deco)Now before I get flamed for using strokemix that is what Divetech use. I was on vacation and really could not care less if I was using 80% ,100% or anything else :)
It is maybe a 15 minute surface swim out to the "wall" .Actually it is a 45 degree slope,but wall sounds better. As soon as we dropped down we saw our first Turtle. This deep wall is in great condition.After 25 minutes we headed up to our first stop at 60 feet. The layout here is great for deco dives.At 60 feet or so the wall gives way to sand flats and 10 minutes or so following a compass heading brings you to the much more frequently dived "mini wall" which is teeming with life. The bottom of this "mini wall" is around 55 feet,the top about 25. Of course we managed to miss the correct exit and ended up with a 5 minute surface swim back,but no big deal. 131 feet,89 minutes.

Dive 2. Did the Mini Wall with Christa.There is an overhang known as the "Tarpon Cave" which always has a resident school of, surprise,Tarpon! But what was really cool was the huge school of silversides ,and a rather large Barracuda. This really is a great dive,especially for one that is so easily accessible. 46 feet.43 minutes.

Dive3. Dusk dive off from our condo.Unremarkable but pleasant.50 feet,33 minutes.

Day2.
Dive1. Similar plan to the day before ,but this time diving from the other Divetech shop at Cobalt Coast. Slight hitch to start.Brian can not get his reg to go in the deco tank. Might this have something to do with it bouncing off the concrete when I opened the back of the jeep yesterday?? Note.Many things are expensive in Cayman,DIN valves included :-( I was just happy not to have died in an oxygen fire.Am now more careful opening trucks full of dive gear.
Another great dive.The wall here is steeper and more dramatic than at the Turtle farm.Highlight was watching a grouper getting cleaned and just generally feeling like we were in an aquarium.135 for 101 minutes.

Dive 2. Drove down 7 mile beach through Georgetown and went to Sunset House. I have never much cared for the Dive Operation at Sunset House,always seem to have a bit of an attitude.I knew they do not allow outside tanks but figured they would be OK with me paying them for a tank and using the remaining air in my doubles.Wrong! No outside tanks.Period.Due to "insurance reasons" yeah right. If it was just me I would have gone somewhere else never to darken the door of Sunset House again,but this was Christas dive and she wanted to do it so we drove back to the condo where I switched to a single wing and a single yoke reg and drove back down 7 mile beach again.Finally I have a wimpy (Insurance Company Approved )Al 72 and we go dive. Another pleasant dive.The mermaid is always fun and I love watching the yellow headed jawfish in the coral rubble just beyond. And the beer at "My Bar" afterwards while watching the sun go down is not too shabby either. 58 feet 48 minutes

Day3. We were getting tired of getting up early to go "Dick Diving" as Jennifer so eloquently calls it so we took it easy with single tank dives.

Dive1. Cobalt Coast. Lazy dive while the photographers Brian and Raff did there thing. 69 feet.46 minutes.

Dive2. Turtle Farm where a strong current seems to have developed.Felt more like Jackson Blue than Cayman.Had fun swimming through the silversides in the cave. 60 feet 46 minutes.

Dive3. Night Dive at the Turtle Farm. this turned out to be something special. Current still strong although strangely the 4 foot barracuda does not seem to be bothered by it. After seeing most of the usual suspects we turned at 1500 or so and let the current take us along the top of the reef.I was lagging behind a bit when I see a small submarine emerge from an overhang.No,thats not a submarine its a fish! Only one thing it can be that size,A Goliath Grouper! 5 minutes swim from a diveshop! It was probably only a baby as they go.5 or 6 ft long?? But I was impressed. We used modified light signals on this dive. Normally a rapidly flashing HID means "I am scared stupid and about to drown" On this dive it was more like "Really really cool HUGE fish. " 59 feet. 51 minute.

Day4. I finally got to do the dive I had been looking forward to for months.My favorite area of Cayman has always been the Northeast coast around Babylon and Anchor Point . We drove across the island through Breakers and Bodden town. The effects of Hurricane Ivan in 2004 were much more obvious than in the more touristy Western part of the island.Cayman Dive Lodge was particularly sobering.Just rubble.
Brian and I put in at a sandy beach a little to the east of the Old Man Bay Condos.We were hoping to make it as far as Babylon. 32% all round today. Double Al 80's and an 80 stage as well. Plan was to do 110 feet for 40 minutes,come up to 80 feet for another 10 then slowly head back in to shore. The dive was quite simply awesome.There are no marked sites in this area and the wall is a 20 minute swim from shore. I doubt it sees 10 divers a year. In many places this huge,pristine wall drops vertically into the inky depths. I felt honored to be there,just me and my buddy.
At the end of our bottom time we had not reached the Babylon Pinnacle (Which Raff and Christa were diving) so we just headed back to shore.I shot a bag as prearranged and hoped that our surface support Roxanne would see it.Unfortunately we were maybe 1/4 mile short of Babylon so she was looking in the wrong place.Suffice it to say she was relieved to see us when we finally surfaced after finishing our deco. probably not quite what she was expecting on her first ever scuba vacation.
113 feet,102 minutes.

Afterwards we drove round the East End of the island and stopped for dinner at Vivines kitchen near Ocean Frontiers. Have always meant to try this place but never made it before. A huge plate of curried chicken,rice,beans and plantains for around $8 (US) with an ocean view. Highly recommended. A Great day.

Day5.

Dive1.Last full day of diving. Brian and I went back to the Big Wall at the Turtle Farm and had another fantastic dive. Plan was 150 for 20 on (Shock! Horror! ) air and 80% for deco. I could tell Brian was a little intimidated as he decided not to bring his camera along on this dive. (I think removing it required a surgical procedure ) Instead of hugging the slope on this dive we stayed further out. That put us directly above the point at 200 feet where the slope goes vertical and just disappears forever. Floating over rivers of sand that tumble into the void was ,well,thats what divings all about for me. Next time I hope to have a Trimix certification and take a closer look. 153 feet. 94 minutes.

Dive2. Another Dive,Another Beer,Another Sunset at Sunset House.I could get used to this lifestyle.

Day6.
Got up early (by my standards) for one last shallow dive at the Turtle Farm. Raff and I cruised around taking it all in and wondering how long it will be before we return. 72 feet. 56 minutes.
Afterwards we had to go shopping and the bar at Sunset sucked us in again. Now if only they could fix the diveshop there.

We rented our tanks from Divetech and as always I really can not say enough good things about this operation.Unlike so many shops they take the attitude that if you have the card (and dont ask any really stupid questions) then you know what you are doing so go and have fun.
A set of Al 80'doubles with air is $20. With 32% in them it was $32.
A 40 of 80% is $22.

We used V-Planner for deco planning.Due to the sand flats in the middle of these dives the 60 and 50 foot stops were increased significantly.That meant that the 40 foot stop was probably not necessary but we did it anyway to be conservative. After clearing our tables on 80% we switched back to air and hung out until our liberal single gas computers just cleared so that we could use them for afternoon dives. Having to stay another 10 or 15 minutes in 84 degree water that is full of juvenile fish was not too much of a hardship but I am thinking of getting a 2 or 3 gas computer.

All in all. Just a great trip.

The Buffett sing along would have been fine with me :)

I agree about the shop at Sunset House. And about My Bar - the best part of the whole Sunset House Hotel. We have stayed there 2 times. I wanting to go to Cobalt Coast on my next time to Paradise.

Agree that kind of living could easily be come a real addiction.

Great report too

Thanks for the report. I'm just about done packing. Our flight to GC leaves in less than 7 hours!!! Going back to Cobalt Coast for the 6th time in five years! What a nice rut to be in!!

nauifins73:
The Buffett sing along would have been fine with me :)

I agree about the shop at Sunset House. And about My Bar - the best part of the whole Sunset House Hotel. We have stayed there 2 times. I wanting to go to Cobalt Coast on my next time to Paradise.

Agree that kind of living could easily be come a real addiction.

Great report too

I always got along well with the people at sunset house.. I have stayed there at least a dozen times.. I don't know the current dive staff, last time I was there (last year) they were in transition...
They stopped supporting technical stuff (lost their tech staff), but they helped arrange Dive Tech to drop off stages and additional stuff to fulfill my groups needs..

I have stayed at CC also.. I really like the property and Arie is great, but the location is sometimes a drag.. At Sunset Reef don't limit yourself to just the mermaid and Nicholson, the wall (especially deep) is really nice.. Once you get beyond recreational depths its superb.. I frequently ran trimix CCR programs there and looking up from 100m (due to the shape of some sections of the wall) is quite impressive... Navigating the wall is also very easy.. at recreational depths on the section of the island there are only 2 sand shutes, one right in fron of Sunset house and one in front of what was seaview.. Beyond recreational depths at around 160ish is a huge barrel sponge that marks the sand chute (at this point it doesnt look much like a chute)

One of my favorite dives on Cayman is a one way carrie lee trip for rebreather divers.. Sunset divers used to do this on occasion.. You got put on the carrie lee by boat, spent some time on the wreck (50m to about 85m), then headed along the way and a swim back to Sunset house (about a 70 minute swim) working your way up the wall as you go.. If you plan your profile correctly you end up swimming along the wall around 18m and run right into the nicholson (if you are deeper you hit the sand shute or a bit shallower the mermaid) so you know exactly where to turn....

Thanks for bumping this. I enjoyed your review.... woohoo! I am going to the Caymans!! oh ya! (I am getting really excited now! <happy dance> hehe)

Back
Top Bottom