Cayman Shark Logging and Shark Conservation Results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at LC all last week. Four reef sharks over the 6 days of diving and 5 nurse sharks. One of the other boats saw a hammerhead but unfortunately, I did not.

All the reef shark sightings were on the Jackson's Bight side, on the main wall.
Nurse sharks seen at Mixing Bowl, Meadows and in the shallows in the Bloody Bay area.

The latest shark logging results indicate a 25% chance of seeing a shark off Little Cayman but only 17% off of Grand Cayman, but the probability of sighting sharks is higher off of Grand Cayman's East End:

Shark loggers get up close and personal with local reef sharks
At East End sites like Pat’s Wall, Jack McKenny’s Canyons and The Maze it’s almost 100% in my (admittedly limited) experience :). Hit all 3 on 1 dive with the X dive at Ocean Frontiers!

By the way, I don't believe the video Kathy posted was filmed in Cayman. There were 3 sharks circling at one time, and some of the divers had what looked like bang sticks. I bet that was shot at a shark feeding dive elsewhere else in the Caribbean. Fake news.

By the way, I don't believe the video Kathy posted was filmed in Cayman. There were 3 sharks circling at one time, and some of the divers had what looked like bang sticks. I bet that was shot at a shark feeding dive elsewhere else in the Caribbean. Fake news.
I’ve seen 4 sharks swimming around our dive group at East End.

Maybe, my son and I had 3 Reef Sharks swimming with us for most of a dive at Scuba Bowl in September, 2011

Have friends that work on the EE and see sharks on almost every dive. There are a couple of very friendly nurse sharks on the west side that often show up but not all the time. Have never seen any DM in the water with a shark stick. When we had a swimmer doing a distance swim around the island, we did have shark deterrents but as it turned out didn't need them. The swimmer struggled in the currents and aborted the attempt. A friend who kite surfed with a group to raise money for Cancer Research from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman said they all had shark deterrents and saw plenty of sharks. When we were in the Galapagos and were in the water with hundreds of sharks at any give site, no one had shark sticks either.

Back
Top Bottom