Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've been able to gather, they are sticking to their guns on the SMART Health Card, which unfortunately rules out a majority of the US population at this time.

Well that sucks like a remora. Maybe by the time I am due for my booster shot there will be some kind of digital copy of the record that the Caymans will accept.

Well that sucks like a remora. Maybe by the time I am due for my booster shot there will be some kind of digital copy of the record that the Caymans will accept.

In Florida? Seriously? That will be the last state in the union to agree to that.

So... I'm in Florida, I got vaccinated through a FEMA site and my primary records are held at the Florida DOH, and I will (knock on wood) have a digital SMART Health QR code in a few weeks. And no, not because I paid some chick on instagram $200 for it.

My records are also kept at a hospital (UF Health) and they're a part of the Common Health Network. That hospital is in the process of introducing the SMART digital health cards, they expect it'll happen sometime this month or early October.

If you can get your records in one of the Common Health Network providers, they may be able to provide you with a SMART Health card. The list of providers is Partner Organizations — CommonHealth.

Any word yet out of the meeting with resort operators that was supposed to happen today?

Nope. The Resort Association made their pitch. The gubmint reps listened and nothing back from them yet.

They already said they were going forward with phase 3, without reaching the 80% target. but Phase 3 still requires quarantines. I will be surprised if they still go through with Phase IV next month that would eliminate the quarantine requirement for some visitors. And even if they do, I will be surprised to see many airlines follow through on restarting their flights right away, given how flighty the Cayman Govt has been about following through on previous openings. Last thing those airlines want to do is send empty planes back and forth to GC.

I remember trying to get to the Caymans after Hurricane Ivan when they reopened to incoming flights and tourists going to the Sister Islands, and for several weeks, only Cayman Airways and British Airways were running flights.

There is reporting of 2 community spread cases in Cayman right now. I doubt they ever open fully until they can come to grips with the fact they can't keep COVID off the island and have tourism. Once they do open up (if they do in October) I anticipate they will have cases and it will spread around the island. If that is not acceptable to those in charge, I anticipate they will shut down again once the spread starts.

This is the blessing and the curse for the fact GC has been able to keep covid off the island or otherwise contained this entire time. If that remains the standard and what is expected, I don't see them opening up to visitors with no quarantine on short one week stays.

Oh well, Aruba gets my money again in November and January. Maybe, by the time our club trip to Sunset House happens next April, they’ll have emerged from under their rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom