Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with a local dive shop owner this week and he told me that tour operators have been informed that the Cayman islands will open to tourists on January 22, 2022, but he said that he "doesn't expect it to really happen."

Sad, but not unexpected, news, Kathy. Thanks for the update.

It sounds like it was a good idea to leave the year of the thread title. Now the debate will be 2022 or 2023.

Yeah, it is sounding like the Reef Divers folks were pretty wise to expand their operation outside of the Caymans. They just finished their voyage transporting 4 of their boats from Brac to South Caicos at the end of last week. After holding out hope for a reopening for a long time, I have pretty much given up on getting back to LC in the next year or so. I will be planning several trips over the next year, and LC won't be on the list for the foreseeable future.

Apparently there is a BIG IMPORTANT meeting on Thursday between the resort owners and the gubmint to discuss re-opening. Woo. Let’s see what comes out of it.

Apparently there is a BIG IMPORTANT meeting on Thursday between the resort owners and the gubmint to discuss re-opening. Woo. Let’s see what comes out of it.

I am going to go with "A lot of promises, but little results" for 500 Alex.

Beep boop bap. Daily Double! How much would you like to wager?

The Reef Divers trip was far from smooth - I heard they had to turn back to Cayman and then some had to quarantine for 2 weeks before they could do anything!

The Reef Divers trip was far from smooth - I heard they had to turn back to Cayman and then some had to quarantine for 2 weeks before they could do anything!
They documented it somewhat on the Reef Divers facebook page via Jason Belport's GPS tracker. They turned back initially because their fuel consumption was higher than they planned for and they were not going to have enough. They came back and took a couple of weeks delay, I am not sure if it was for quarantine, or if they were waiting on additional supplies to get shipped in, or if it was just looking for a weather window. They had originally planned to shoot straight from the Windward Passage to South Caicos, but as they were coming out of the WP, the seas were apparently 7-9' on their beam. So they made a left and went around the lee side of Great Inagua and then up to Provo and tied up for the night. They refueled and cleared customs at a marina in Provo and then finished the trip across the Caicos Bank. I believe they said the total trip was 56 hours.

They documented it somewhat on the Reef Divers facebook page via Jason Belport's GPS tracker. They turned back initially because their fuel consumption was higher than they planned for and they were not going to have enough. They came back and took a couple of weeks delay, I am not sure if it was for quarantine, or if they were waiting on additional supplies to get shipped in, or if it was just looking for a weather window. They had originally planned to shoot straight from the Windward Passage to South Caicos, but as they were coming out of the WP, the seas were apparently 7-9' on their beam. So they made a left and went around the lee side of Great Inagua and then up to Provo and tied up for the night. They refueled and cleared customs at a marina in Provo and then finished the trip across the Caicos Bank. I believe they said the total trip was 56 hours.

I heard that one of the boats lost an engine at some point.

Back
Top Bottom