Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It amazes me that an economy such as theirs (70% of GDP is tourism) can remain so resolute and unwilling to change tack in this matter. Their country, their rules.

When I first became a board member for CITA, I asked the question, does anyone actually have any hard data on what percentage of the GDP tourism actually is? Everyone blinked at me and stared. The CIG claims its 20%. The CIA fact book has it at 70%. I've seen a variety of figures ranging from everything in between. No one can give me a straight answer. The Cayman Government is proceeding as if the impact from tourism is 20%.

I'm no economics expert, and I was later told GDP is not the correct way to quantify tourism's direct impact on the local economy, but you get the idea. Garbage in, garbage out. You'd be shocked at how little actual factual data there is here on things like population figures.

Right now, they are riding this construction wave that's occurring to bridge the gap. For regular travelers to the Cayman Islands, you'd be absolutely shocked at how much building has occurred, and continues to occur. Out on the boat last week in West Bay, I counted 12 construction cranes along the SMB corridor. There are dozens more out east and on the south shore.

Tony

An update which some of you have seen, is that the new 5-day quarantine only applies to vaccinated travelers if you've received your vaccine in the Cayman Islands or the UK. I had heard rumors of this last week, but didn't post it as they were unverified. Well, it's been verified now. This means your US or Canadian issued vaccine, regardless of brand, will not get you into Cayman.

The government is concerned about vaccine certificate fraud. This is a real kick in the crotch for us. What we will see happening is locals will be leaving, since most have been cooped up here for almost 2 years, and this will further erode our dwindling local economy for the restaurants and tourists ops that have managed to hang in there.

Good article which sums up the issue, and the pushback to this new policy: Pushback over Cayman's selective 5-day vaccination policy - Cayman Compass

Michael Tibbetts was quoted “The CIG can verify US vaccination cards for the 10 day reduced quarantine but not the 5 day quarantine. How does that make sense?”

Tony

I feel for all of you in the tourism business in the Caymans. Dive Island destinations and countries all over the world are all opening up and returning to and heading towards a normal. Crickets from the Caymans. This has to be so tough for you all - the not knowing and no date when you might know.

Michael Tibbetts was quoted “The CIG can verify US vaccination cards for the 10 day reduced quarantine but not the 5 day quarantine. How does that make sense?”

There is simply no way to create and implement a meaningful fraud free verification, certainly not in time to save this year. We have been waiting for Switzerland to announce when they would be open to US travelers and under what conditions. CH has been closed to US travelers. About a month ago they announced that they would announce a change on 6-26-21. They announced last week that starting 6-26-21 CH would be open to US travelers with no testing requirements or quarantine for most travelers. All you need to do is complete an online form and if fully vaccinated or recovered you are in. I did not see any requirement on the proof required on being fully vaccinated other than you attesting to that fact on the form.

I used to rotate my quarterly dive trips between the Caymans and Cozumel. I have been going to Cozumel exclusively since the start of the pandemic-related closure of the Caymans by the government. This has afforded me the opportunity to realize the cost-benefit of Cozumel compared to GC. Cozumel is way more affordable, with awesome diving, hotels, restaurants, and a good dollar to the peso exchange rate. (And I can drive on the right side of the road in Coz ...LOL)

I would love to return to the Caymans someday. Reading about a proposed 5-10 day quarantine and the bickering over the authenticity of vaccination cards from the USA only makes my decision to go to Coz a no-brainer.

C'mon Caymans...get your s***t together! There's money to be made from tourists/divers from the USA!

I love the Caymans and look forward to returning when it is allowed. I feel for the businesses and locals affected by the pandemic.

Right now, they are riding this construction wave that's occurring to bridge the gap.

I suspect a lot of that construction is funded via financing that will require future income streams. At least if it's similar to the practical realities of U.S. businesses.

The government is concerned about vaccine certificate fraud.

The lack of ability to establish vaccination status is annoying to many of us, too. From a recent article i PCMag.com, I learned of a free service called (judging from the confirmation on my phone) gogetvax - which is good, because if I hadn't seen them reviewed in a publication I have some trust in (for their tech. coverage, not their politics), I wouldn't have been willing to give the info. I did, and it took awhile (maybe a couple of weeks?).

But now, in my iPhone's wallet, is a nice validation showing my name, birthday, vaccine name and lot # and date for both shots, date verified, one of those scannable square box QR code things, and a status statement saying COVID 19 Level 2 Verified. Considering the info. I had to give and the time frame to get back to me, and the PC Magazine review, I think it's all legit.

But who out there would recognize and accept this? It's just the sort of thing that's needed...but who will acknowledge it?

I'd like to see Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson bring in such a system. If the vaccinated person chooses to participate, that should get past HIPPA concerns.

But now, in my iPhone's wallet, is a nice validation showing my name, birthday, vaccine name and lot # and date for both shots, date verified, one of those scannable square box QR code things, and a status statement saying COVID 19 Level 2 Verified. Considering the info. I had to give and the time frame to get back to me, and the PC Magazine review, I think it's all legit.

But who out there would recognize and accept this? It's just the sort of thing that's needed...but who will acknowledge it?

I'd like to see Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson bring in such a system. If the vaccinated person chooses to participate, that should get past HIPPA concerns.

My husband and I were just discussing this type of idea. We’d be happy to participate in a voluntary system that provided certifiable proof of vaccination for international travel.

A couple months ago I would have agreed with the thought that a universal verifiable proof of vaccination would be a prerequisite to travel. Now not so much. I think things have already gotten ahead of that idea and is slowly showing that it is not needed and/or has limited worth. Travel in the US, Caribbean and parts of Europe are taking place without it and so far without major problems.

I'm no economics expert, and I was later told GDP is not the correct way to quantify tourism's direct impact on the local economy, but you get the idea. Garbage in, garbage out. You'd be shocked at how little actual factual data there is here on things like population figures.

IMHO the Cayman Islands the proper way to measure tourism's impact is the amount of people employed in the sector. The financial sector has an outsized impact on GDP with fairly low employment numbers.

While the CIA Fact Book does say that tourism is 70% of your economy, the Department of State briefings says that the financial sector is 50-60% of your economy, with over 200 financial institutions. I would believe the State's numbers are they also mention that the banks manage $1.5T in assets, that's a lot of money. Though I find it troubling that someone has to rely on foreign intelligence agencies to figure out how their economy operates. This is basic data that a government should already have as they need it to decide governmental priorities.

Back
Top Bottom