Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the key to all of this, and it's been discussed by the government a lot, seems to be getting some percent of the local population fully vaccinated. The target they mention keeps changing between 70 and 80%, though, and they recently found that they were undercounting the total population - roughly now 70,000 vs 60,000 - so the actual percent to-date went down. Once they hit the target (assuming the government can finally agree on one), it will be less of a risk letting people into the country. I assume they will still require testing, but that's a minor inconvenience.

We just got back to the US from 18 months on island (a fantastic time, btw, living an essentially covid-free life the past year and lots of great diving - and I play in a band down there, and it was great gigging in crowded bars and restaurants - something my US band was not able to do here until a few weeks ago - and only outside), and before we left they were holding vaccination fairs, lotteries, prize giveaways, etc. to try to get more folks to get the jab. And they opened it up to older children. So hopefully they will get there soon. Fortunately we got our jabs in Cayman, so we are looking at only a 5-day quarantine when we return in late fall. But more hopefully they suspend the quarantine by then.

Meanwhile, for those of you who keep asking about the status, you can always go to https://www.exploregov.ky for the latest info. And specific to travel: Apply to Travel Cayman

I suspect a lot of that construction is funded via financing that will require future income streams. At least if it's similar to the practical realities of U.S. businesses.

The lack of ability to establish vaccination status is annoying to many of us, too. From a recent article i PCMag.com, I learned of a free service called (judging from the confirmation on my phone) gogetvax - which is good, because if I hadn't seen them reviewed in a publication I have some trust in (for their tech. coverage, not their politics), I wouldn't have been willing to give the info. I did, and it took awhile (maybe a couple of weeks?).

But now, in my iPhone's wallet, is a nice validation showing my name, birthday, vaccine name and lot # and date for both shots, date verified, one of those scannable square box QR code things, and a status statement saying COVID 19 Level 2 Verified. Considering the info. I had to give and the time frame to get back to me, and the PC Magazine review, I think it's all legit.

But who out there would recognize and accept this? It's just the sort of thing that's needed...but who will acknowledge it?

I'd like to see Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson bring in such a system. If the vaccinated person chooses to participate, that should get past HIPPA concerns.

Looking at the GoGetVax.com website, it only shows you can sign up to get your shots and nothing about those already vaccinated getting an electronic card for your iPhone's Wallet. Did I miss something? I'm all for having electronic verification over the easily faked CDC card. I would certainly opt-in.

I love diving in Cayman but not prepared to wait forever for them to open up.

I gave up and booked Bonaire in Sept. The diving is not as good but at least the place is open to those fully vaccinated with a negative test within 72 hrs of arrival. I'm hoping to get back to Cayman by Christmas.

How to Carry Your Vaccination Card on Your Phone That's the article I learned of it from. From the article:

"Put It In Your Digital Wallet
VaxYes from GoGetVax creates a certificate that can be placed in your Apple Wallet or in Google Pay. You enter your phone number on the site and then upload an image of your vaccination card. In return, you get a digital certificate that can be stored on your device's wallet.

UPDATE: If you tried VaxYes but have not yet heard back, the site experienced a backlog with its SMS system (because of this story, as it happens). GoGetVax is sending out follow-up emails to those who had issues, but if you haven't received it, email them at support@gogetvax.com."

I used to rotate my quarterly dive trips between the Caymans and Cozumel. I have been going to Cozumel exclusively since the start of the pandemic-related closure of the Caymans by the government. This has afforded me the opportunity to realize the cost-benefit of Cozumel compared to GC. Cozumel is way more affordable, with awesome diving, hotels, restaurants, and a good dollar to the peso exchange rate. (And I can drive on the right side of the road in Coz ...LOL)

I would love to return to the Caymans someday. Reading about a proposed 5-10 day quarantine and the bickering over the authenticity of vaccination cards from the USA only makes my decision to go to Coz a no-brainer.

C'mon Caymans...get your s***t together! There's money to be made from tourists/divers from the USA!

Same with my family group. We were really hoping to visit Cayman this year. Our plan for Cozumel fell through when Scuba Club told us they wouldn't book us into September (even for just a few days). Looks like after hurricane season we will go to Coz unless GC opens up.

How to Carry Your Vaccination Card on Your Phone That's the article I learned of it from. From the article:

"Put It In Your Digital Wallet
VaxYes from GoGetVax creates a certificate that can be placed in your Apple Wallet or in Google Pay. You enter your phone number on the site and then upload an image of your vaccination card. In return, you get a digital certificate that can be stored on your device's wallet.

UPDATE: If you tried VaxYes but have not yet heard back, the site experienced a backlog with its SMS system (because of this story, as it happens). GoGetVax is sending out follow-up emails to those who had issues, but if you haven't received it, email them at support@gogetvax.com."

Better than nothing! I've already scanned mine into my phone when I first got it in February.

I gave up and booked Bonaire in Sept. The diving is not as good but at least the place is open to those fully vaccinated with a negative test within 72 hrs of arrival.
At the moment, Bonaire does not care if you are vaccinated or not. And you need a negative NAAT/PCR test within 24h or departure for Bonaire, or a negative PCR test within 72h of arrival PLUS a negative antigen test at the airport when you arrive. That testing requirement may change (perhaps in early July) for US residents to simply needing to show you are fully vaccinated plus two weeks ("2+2"), , but Canada has not been mentioned for this simplification.

One of the problems is no one knows what the population of the Cayman Islands actually is. The old government used one estimate and the new government used a different method. A proper census is about to be conducted, but I fear the method they will use to conduct this census will not be terribly accurate.

Tony

"If you're not on this list, please let us know."

Please raise your hand if you cannot hear me.

Back
Top Bottom