Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you seeing an up tick in divers coming to FL? I was amazed to see a dive center, Rainbow Reef, with 8 boats, 7 of them large ones, having many of the boats fully booked on their dive schedule/calendar.
Yes, dive boats included. There's an uptick in everything tourist related. It's so significant that hotels and restaurants can't find enough employees. Everywhere you go, they are short handed and begging for workers. You've got to book stuff a month or so out (depending on what it is exactly of course) to have a good chance of getting the spots you want.

Actually, that seems to have trickled down to other industries as well. I'm trying to get some electrical work done on my home and I've had several electricians tell me flat out that they have too much work and can't take on another project right now.

No, they don't know anything. I'm not sure how they came to draft this email the way it was sent. Maybe wishful thinking, maybe a subordinate mis-understood their boss when told to compose the email. Maybe the guy who wrote the email has a brother-in-law who's cousin was former roommates with the Premier's son and thinks he has inside information.

We've all heard of the (politically incorrectly named) game of Chinese Whispers that we played as kids. Sitting in a big circle, one kid would whisper a statement, and it gets passed around the circle. By the time it returns to the start of the circle, the statement is completely and totally different. It's human nature - errors or exaggerations typically accumulate in the retellings of any story. This effect is hugely amplified on such a small rock like Grand Cayman, or on a forum like Scubaboard.

Most citizens of the United States will never encounter a Senator or Congressman in the general public outside of some sort of political function. Here, you can and do meet members of Parliament, Cabinet Ministers, and the Premier out and about - at the store, in a restaurant, or walking their dog. Everyone here has a cousin or a friend who works in government, or who knows the Deputy Governor's wife, or plays rugby with a Minister's son. Everyone claims to have some sort of inside information. A very small percentage might actually have some accurate info. 99% have unsubstantiated and inaccurate rumors, which get repeated, twisted around, repeated again, and then picked up by the press and reporters as fact. Then others report this to their customers. Cumulative error compounds inaccuracies as the story spread from one person to the next.

I'm not saying that's what happened here. For all I know the person who wrote the Hertz email is a minister's wife and has full access to the hidden "plans." More likely it was one of the other reasons I wrote at the top of this post. For the better part of a year I watched as people reported inaccurate fact after fact about the Government's reopening plans. In all that time, they never actually had any reopening plans, something recently revealed by our Premier Mr Panton. This proved that anyone who "had the inside scoop" was full of BS. While Government now have a plan they are working on, they still don't have an actual opening date yet as the situation is dynamic and there are too many unknown variables to determine this presently.

Eventually, when enough people make guesses as to the reopening, someone will get it right. ;-)

Tony

I wonder what the uptick in car rental bookings with Hertz are as a result of the clickbait?

I waited until last minute and booked a place in Florida but it cost me dearly. Paying over 10K for a week in a rental home. This is time and money I would have spent in Cayman but maybe in 2022 or 2023.

I waited until last minute and booked a place in Florida but it cost me dearly. Paying over 10K for a week in a rental home. This is time and money I would have spent in Cayman but maybe in 2022 or 2023.

$10K for a week... I need to raise my rates.

It's a nice house. That was about mid range price. Some were going for 15k to 20K a week. Seaside Florida is not a cheap place.

Soon to be July and has the cayman gov announced their reopening plans or even announced when they will announce?

Soon to be July and has the cayman gov announced their reopening plans or even announced when they will announce?

My guess is that Cayman will not be opening before 2022. They’ve had a few new cases over the past few days from incoming travelers and it’s not doing anything to help. I read somewhere (Cayman Compass?) that they will not trust the CDC Mickey Mouse Cards as proof of vaccination and want a digitally verifiable form of proof before admitting the American hordes.

It amazes me that an economy such as theirs (70% of GDP is tourism) can remain so resolute and unwilling to change tack in this matter. Their country, their rules.

My guess is that Cayman will not be opening before 2022. They’ve had a few new cases over the past few days from incoming travelers and it’s not doing anything to help. I read somewhere (Cayman Compass?) that they will not trust the CDC Mickey Mouse Cards as proof of vaccination and want a digitally verifiable form of proof before admitting the American hordes.

Sadly I am starting to come to the same conclusion - 2022.

It amazes me that an economy such as theirs (70% of GDP is tourism) can remain so resolute and unwilling to change tack in this matter. Their country, their rules.

Reading early on from some on GC that the shut down provided an opportunity to remake their tourism economic model may have more truth in it than I first thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom