Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted this in another thread:

A quick update for all, just to report that I really have nothing to report.

Last week, the CITA executive committee met with the new CIG ministers Saunders, Bryan and Turner, but not much was accomplished at this session. It was more of a chance for CITA to meet the new ministers and brief them on the tourism state of affairs.

This is an entirely new government, with all new ministers, many of whom are new to political office. They are still getting briefed on a variety of things, and I imagine right now they are drinking from the firehose. Not helpful for those of us who wish to reopen or those who are chomping at the bit to come back, but that's what it is unfortunately.

From being directly involved with these committees, my prediction is we will see the quarantine period reduced to 5 days over the summer for vaccinated travelers, and no quarantine sometime in fall. Unvaccinated travelers will likely have to remain on the 14 day quarantine for quite some time.

The info changes daily. We have a CITA meeting on Thursday and if there is something new to report, I'll let everyone know.

Strange you can book flights from the states to GC in July.

Several of the air carriers have told us how valuable the Cayman Islands route is to their revenue model. So they are very keen to have it back up and running as soon as possible. What they are doing is putting these flights on the schedule, and then canceling them as the border opening date keeps getting delayed, or in this case not announced.

Sure, but you have to quarantine after you arrive.

You actually can't get on island with those flights currently The only way to get here right now is either the British Airways air bridge (not sure why they don't just call it a flight) from Heathrow, or the Cayman Airways fight from Miami. Both flights need approval from Travel Cayman before you are allowed to book them.

Tony

You actually can't get on island with those flights currently The only way to get here right now is either the British Airways air bridge (not sure why they don't just call it a flight) from Heathrow, or the Cayman Airways fight from Miami. Both flights need approval from Travel Cayman before you are allowed to book them.
Oh, rats!

Thanks Tony. Would be nice to return in the fall. TK

Was reading in the Cayman news they put another foreign visitor in jail for violating quarantine recently. Apparently a Canadian guy there with his family took his daughter to a pool to swim and took off his quarantine bracelet. It is believed he already had one shot of vaccine and there is a question about if the pool was public or private.

His 30 day jail sentence was just upheld by the appeals court.

Looks like the border will remain closed through July and likely longer. My money is on Nov.

Cayman Islands is getting ready for reopening next phase - Caymans

While I think you are correct in the reopening date, that's not a good article to cite. There are a lot of inaccuracies in that. Our Premier is no longer Alden McClaughlin, (as of April 2021) and we have been at COVID suppression level 2 since June 2020. This looks like a press release from May 2020. Aside from the lack of tourists (which you'd never guess from our traffic,) life on the island has been pretty much back to normal for the past year. In fact the only way I can tell, is hardly anyone cuts me off in the roundabouts anymore ;-). That and we have only 5% of our 2019 business. :-(

Basically the main hurdle is getting 70-80% of the population vaccinated. (Government has said both, and is sort of vague about the percentage.) There are all kinds of incentives and pushes to get those last remaining few to get the shot, including a $10,000 lottery.

There has been tremendous pressure from the private sector, but our current Premier Mr Panton has said they will do what is safe for the island. I will stick with my previous prediction in that we will see the quarantine period reduced to 5 days over the summer for vaccinated travelers, and no quarantine sometime in fall. Probably late fall.

Tony

Sorry about that. It apppeared today or at least in something dated today.

Sorry about that. It apppeared today or at least in something dated today.
I wouldn't blame you, it had today's date on it, and it looked credible. But I would cross cayman.org off my list of reputable news services. That appears to be a bot or something.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom