Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the current time, all children under the age of 12. People allergic to vaccine carrier constituents. People with compromised immune systems where a vaccine won’t help (not really ineligible but ineffective). Minors whose parents choose not to give permission to be vaccinated. There may be others.

I know who. (I think). Was wondering what percentage of the population they constitute? I guess people with religious objections too. God help them.

I don't think will happen, in terms of denying care on the basis of self-inflicted injury, as this means the sick person returning to spread the virus in the community, and isn't consistent with how 1st world countries deal with the complications of obesity and smoking.

On the other hand, I, too, have wondered at what point we presume those who want to be vaccinated can be, get on with our lives and let those who indulge paranoia lie in the bed they made? That is the question.

In fairness, this mindset only applies to 1st world countries with widespread availability, and let's be mindful a small subset may have contraindications, or be on immunosuppressive therapy so that vaccination doesn't work well. I am aware the counter argument is that just because a few people have to 'live in a bubble' doesn't mean the rest of us will.

A rising tide lifts all boats, and a falling tide lowers them. Even someone with a career that doesn't directly rely on tourism (off-shore banking, perhaps?) may eat at restaurants and use other services, or have friends and relatives, where tourism matters. I'll be curious to see if any posters who live and work in the Caymans say this is an issue.

Yeah, I get that turning them away from treatment is bad and would hurt others...but if everybody else is vaccinated, then they are just going to hurt other people who decided not to be vaccinated. I also understand the argument that there is a small population that may not be able to be vaccinated, and those people are going to have to continue to take steps to protect themselves. However, most of those people (i.e. immunocompromised, chemo patients, etc) were going to have to protect themselves against all manner of communicable diseases, not just Covid, so it isn't like they can run around without protection no matter how much of the population gets vaccinated or who gets let into the country.

Regarding the rising tide argument, anybody who is dumb enough to consider not taking a vaccine to keep tourism closed isn't likely to be the type to be thinking through the economic consequences to their favorite restaurants.

The problem as I understand it is that the Caymans only have a week left to get people started with their first dose, because the vaccinations they have purchased expire on June 30th. As of last I heard, they did not have plans to buy any more doses. So anybody who hasn't had their first shot by a week from today isn't going to get fully vaccinated. What are they going to do if the vaccination rate stays stalled and at the end of June they are at 65% or 68%?

Everyone relax. More vaccine will be arriving.

9F4F3904-AD3D-44A9-8C93-6AF1DD54C846.png

At the current time, all children under the age of 12. People allergic to vaccine carrier constituents. People with compromised immune systems where a vaccine won’t help (not really ineligible but ineffective). Minors whose parents choose not to give permission to be vaccinated. There may be others.

On the other hand, other than those with allergies or compromised immune systems, the people listed are among those least likely to have a serious case of covid and least likely to suffer long term damage from catching it.

On the other hand, other than those with allergies or compromised immune systems, the people listed are among those least likely to have a serious case of covid and least likely to suffer long term damage from catching it.

…and most likely to spread it!

At some point I think the Cayman government is going to get to the point of saying "Look, we have given everybody who wants to get vaccinated the opportunity to get it. We are going to open the borders without requiring quarantine on <name a date>. Everyone who wants a shot can get it, other people need to take whatever precautions they feel appropriate."

The current situation is not sustainable in the long-term.

At some point I think the Cayman government is going to get to the point of saying "Look, we have given everybody who wants to get vaccinated the opportunity to get it. We are going to open the borders without requiring quarantine on <name a date>. Everyone who wants a shot can get it, other people need to take whatever precautions they feel appropriate."

The current situation is not sustainable in the long-term.

I hear that the new government is thinking very differently. Someone from CITA needs to chime in here.

The premier of the Cayman Islands, Mr Panton, just finished a press conference. Here's the summary points:
  • As of Wednesday, June 23, 2021, the quarantine period for vaccinated persons arriving to the island will be reduced to 5 days. This applies to residents of the Cayman Islands, relatives, and property owners presently.
  • For unvaccinated persons, the quarantine will remain at 14 days.
  • The Government will continue to use percentage of the population vaccinated as a key metric for it’s reopening date.
  • 72 hour pre-departure testing will be required piro to getting on an airplane for the Cayman Islands.
  • No arrival testing will be conducted
  • Testing will occur when leaving quarantine.
Mr. Panton made a statement that the previous Government’s census data was incorrect, and estimated the current census of the Cayman Islands at 71,100 persons. This is an increase in the previous estimate of 65,000 persons, which means that more persons need to be vaccinated to achieve the 70% community threshold.

Mr Panton went on to say, the Government is still unsure if it will use the 70% or 80% community vaccination standard. This means that 10,000 to 17,000 additional persons need to be vaccinated to achieve Government's goals.

On the positive side, several factors will help the vaccine progress:
  • Vaccines are now available to 15-17 year olds in the Cayman Islands.
  • Vaccines are now mandatory for work permit holders.
  • Multiple vaccine incentives are in play, including a vaccine lottery with a $10,000 USD cash prize for any resident of the Cayman Islands who has been vaccinated by the Cayman HSA.
Government understands the importance of remobilizing the tourism sector, but insists on doing this in a controlled manner. Mr. Panton concluded by saying that a phased reopening plan for tourism would be announced in the next few weeks, and their target date for tourist reopening would be mid-September presently.

Lastly, and I can't state this enough - the mid September date is not a firm reopening date, so don't start booking flights. If you recall, back in January we were told we'd be opening in March 2021. This is an targeted reopening date, and likely can change.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom