Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right. I said my wife doesn't want to be locked up if she caught covid from community spread. I must have been talking about a jail or something, because no one would possibly think I meant quarantine.

I thought of your wife and I instantly thought of jail! đź‘»

My wife has told me the same. She loves the Cayman Islands, regularly listens to CI radio stations over streaming and follows the news, but refuse to visit until the PCR exit test is dropped. She doesn't want to risk going down there, catching covid from the wide community spread, and then being locked up unable to return home for many weeks.
we have the exact same concerns and are holding off making reservations ourselves

You're right. I said my wife doesn't want to be locked up if she caught covid from community spread. I must have been talking about a jail or something, because no one would possibly think I meant quarantine.

The testing requirements on return is why I haven't traveled internationally since Dec 2020. I don't really fear the virus at least not since I got the vaccine, but I don't want to be stuck on an unplanned quarantine.

The testing requirements on return is why I haven't traveled internationally since Dec 2020. I don't really fear the virus at least not since I got the vaccine, but I don't want to be stuck on an unplanned quarantine.
This is the exact reason that several divers in my circle are not going to the Caymans this year. It also makes places like Saint Croix a bit more attractive.
Be safe

My wife and I just got back home this morning from our stay at LCBR. We were very anxious about all the testing required by Cayman and USA. Ten days and 6 Covid tests later.....well, I am happy to report we made it!!

The diving was superb and the hospitality at LCBR was outrageously amazing. The staff worked hard during the pandemic to "spruce up" the resort and it showed. Everyone at the resort had smiles and went out of their way to provide amazing service. It was clear that our return to the island was appreciated.

The Covid testing on Little Cayman was extremely easy. All the testing was initially performed at a clinic about 1mile away from the resort. LCBR provided the transportation to the clinic and back. The testing was performed at 1pm and we were back at the resort in about 20 minutes. Our tests later in the week were performed at the resort.

Masks were worn indoors at all the common areas of the resort. Any outside space was optional. The staff all wore masks inside and outside.

For us, the hassles and anxiety were overshadowed by the amazing experiences that we have come to expect and appreciate at the LCBR. Everything ran like a fine tuned engine and we could not have left happier with our overall vacation. Maybe it should be a new slogan - Dive LCBR because its worth it!!

My wife and I just got back home this morning from our stay at LCBR. We were very anxious about all the testing required by Cayman and USA. Ten days and 6 Covid tests later.....well, I am happy to report we made it!!
Glad it went well! Apologies if this has been discussed and is known to the rest of you, but things change with time, and I'd like to know whether the staff at LCBR discussed with you guys what would happen if one or more of you tested positive at some point. Let's say the day before your flight back to the U.S.A., for example.

Little Cayman is a fairly small island. Where will you be put up for quarantine? And Omicron is highly contagious; if one person has it, it seems fairly likely there'll be a few more. If you are put up at LCBR, is there a charge (and if so, what)? If elsewhere, where? I assume they won't want to fly you back to Grand Cayman or over to Cayman Brac.

We live in interesting times.

Glad it went well! Apologies if this has been discussed and is known to the rest of you, but things change with time, and I'd like to know whether the staff at LCBR discussed with you guys what would happen if one or more of you tested positive at some point. Let's say the day before your flight back to the U.S.A., for example.

Little Cayman is a fairly small island. Where will you be put up for quarantine? And Omicron is highly contagious; if one person has it, it seems fairly likely there'll be a few more. If you are put up at LCBR, is there a charge (and if so, what)? If elsewhere, where? I assume they won't want to fly you back to Grand Cayman or over to Cayman Brac.

Very good questions of which I do not have an answer. We did not ask these questions.....prolly due to superstition:p

Very good questions of which I do not have an answer. We did not ask these questions.....prolly due to superstition:p

I spoke to Clearly Cayman last week. They have a dedicated block of rooms available for those unlucky sods who have to spend more time in LC than originally planned. You will receive meals in your rooms until you test negative and can fly again. If you need confirmation, call Clearly Cayman for more info.

I spoke to Clearly Cayman last week. They have a dedicated block of rooms available for those unlucky sods who have to spend more time in LC than originally planned. You will receive meals in your rooms until you test negative and can fly again. If you need confirmation, call Clearly Cayman for more info.
So would you be able to go find an empty section of the beach to sit down, or would you literally be confined to your room for the entire quarantine? Sitting locked in a room at LCBR listening to the wind in the palms, the sea on the reef, and the clanging of dive tanks without being able to go outside may be the single most diabolical torture you could use on me if you wanted to drive me insane...

So would you be able to go find an empty section of the beach to sit down, or would you literally be confined to your room for the entire quarantine? Sitting locked in a room at LCBR listening to the wind in the palms, the sea on the reef, and the clanging of dive tanks without being able to go outside may be the single most diabolical torture you could use on me if you wanted to drive me insane...

The answer is that you will be confined to your room for the next 10 days. Cost is $250/night. You require a negative PCR test before being released. If you have a pool view room, you’re stuck; if you have an ocean room, you can walk about on your patio. Get Covid insurance else it will be expensive.

Things will change but that’s what’s current now. Sucks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom