Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arrow Blenny

ArrowBlenny_IMG_4660-Edit.jpg

Speaking of Blennies, time to introduce a newly named blenny from Grand Cayman. Collected and described by Benjamin Victor Of the Ocean Science Foundation and the Guy Harvey Research Institute, it's great to finally have a name to put to this beauty, friends Everett Turner, his wife Essi Evans and myself have been photographing for years. Cudos to Ben!!
Meet Starksia splendens or the Splendid Shy Blenny

StarksiaBlenny_IMG_0455-Edit.jpg

Wow, saw a Blenny on my last dive and couldn't work out what it was, based on looking it up - here's a poor quality pic, but the best I could get:
2018 10 27_1618_edited-1.jpg

I posted it on the Fish Id section here and so far have got "A Blenny of some sort, I think."

Do those that have more local knowledge know what type? Seen in a dip in the hardpan in about 10 feet of water in the middle of the day - it was about 3-4 inches long.

Jawfish with eggs. Shot on Sunset House shore dive. Not sure why some think this shore dive is not available.
EmptyName_206.jpg

I think it is not available because I called and spoke directly to the dive shop and they said " Shore diving may be available starting tomorrow if the construction is wrapped up".Previously during the week I was told it was not available.

Back
Top Bottom