Cayman News Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex777

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, not really news, just bits of info. And, OK, not really a "Flash" either - more like a dull glow. Anyway ...

The silversides are back in force at Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto - gazillions of 'em. See them now, before they leave for parts unknown. Floating into the middle of the bait ball and watching the predators (barracuda, tarpon) attack the outside is a surreal experience, especially as you are in a swim-through (tunnel?) at the time. Bring a flashlight.

DiveTech's new dock at Lighthouse Point seems to be finished. It now has a decent entry point to our newest shore dive. Definitely worth checking out.

I saw 2 (count 'em - 2!) hammerheads on a single N Wall dive on Sun. My completely unscientific and subjective opinion is that hammerhead sightings are becoming more common here and eagle ray sightings are becoming less common. Seems like I hear of 1 or 2 hammerhead sightings every weekend. My dive buddy upbraids me for failing to get into a vertical posture when the sharks approached. She says that if you are vertical the shark will understand you are not food. Call me an optimist, but I like to think they know that anyway.

Rumour of the Week: SunDivers, the guys who took over Turtle Reef from DiveTech, will be operating the dive op at Spanish Bay Reef when it reopens. If true, this is most excellent news. They do a good job and Spanish Bay is a great site. It deserves a good dive op.

A friend & I have launched a campaign to preserve the name "Soto's Reef." This site was named after Bob Soto, Scuba Hall of Famer and founder of the 1st Caribbean dive op. The site is right off the Burger King parking lot, so many locals have taken to calling it "Cheeseburger Reef." Now, I understand that the cheeseburger is an important food group, and quite possibly is in the Fatty Food Hall of Fame, but Bob S. still gets my vote. So, please - if you must dive this distinctly 2nd-rate site, call it by its proper name: Soto's Reef. :wink:

Thnx for the updates

I noticed you mentioned Spanish Bay Reef. When is it scheduled to reopen? We stayed there and loved it, especially the staff.

Thanks for the info! We are flying there next Tuesday.

Alex, there are actually 2 public mooring balls situated on the reef out from The Lobster Pot Dive Center (previously Bob Soto's Diving) and Burger King. The northern most mooring is, as you correctly point out, named Soto's Reef but the southern mooring has been given various different names over the years, the most popular one being Cheeseburger Reef after it's proximity to Burger King. It has also been called Fish Pot reef and Bikini reef over the years.

As to you giving the dive a "second rate" status, when did you last dive it and what status do you give Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto?
Soto's Reef is also chock-a-block with silversides right now with schools of Tarpon, massive schools (200 plus) of Horseeye Jacks, eels, turtles, spotted drums, stingrays etc.
If you compare it to Eden Rock though there are a couple of downsides........no crowds and no noise from cruiseship engines!!

As far as non-scientific opinions of the North wall go...more hammerhead sitings..maybe but they do seem to be more frequent over periods of time...possibly linked with mating. I have been seeing scars on the big females during the times of most sitings. Personally i don't think there are less Eagle Ray sitings, in fact I think sitings are more common now, up from a low of a couple of years after Ivan. Less than say 12 years ago, definitely.

Hmmm - didn't know there were 2 balls.

I have dived it since Xmas on 2 occasions & wasn't impressed, but opinions differ I guess. I have a dive buddy who swears by it. I consider Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto verging on 2nd rate also - too much dead coral, noise from engines, etc. Frankly, I prefer the East End.

Last couple of days; one dive at Black Forest saw 17 eagle rays (and a masked hamlet), the next dive saw a large shark in the distance, either a large reef shark or a small tiger (quiet heavy in the body for a reef shark) and the following day a 12 foot great hammerhead off Turtle reef.
Spanish Bay should be re-opening in just over a year, government are holding up the process at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom