Cayman Expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ms tomato

Reaction score
We have vacationed in the Caymans for the last 13 years and just loved the island. This summer we are going probably for the last time since the airfare and price of condo has just skyrocketed. ($600+for a round trip per person) We love the diving and snorkeling and the feeling for safety all around the island. It is sad that the locals have priced the middle class vacationer out of their island. The dollar has never been worth more than .80 so it's over our heads. Any suggestions for an alternative that is safe without strong currents? Thanks.

There is a little island called Bonaire down my Aruba, hardly any current, all kinds of diving options...boat/shore any time of the day/night.

There is not much else to do there but dive, some will contest this, but if you truly love to have a diving vacation Bonaire is the place.

Jason

I often hear people say Cayman is expensive because $1 US is only worth .80 CI. But CI$ is pegged to US$ so the exchange rate is not what makes it expensive - it's not like between other currencies where there are big swings that make a difference.

Cayman is simply expensive because it's expensive (high standard of living, everything imported, factors like that.) I would hardly blame the locals, and that high standard of living is part of why it feels so safe. It wouldn't magically be less expensive if all else were equal but the rate were $1 US = 1.60 CI - there'd just be twice as much CI in circulation and it would feel better (and they'd probably just post the prices in US instead so they sounded better!) $1 US = 109 yen, but that doesn't make Japan cheap.

I guess Houston is just totally backwards from every other location when it comes to airfare. I can almost never get a flight to Coz for less than $600, but can usually find flights to GC for between $300-400. I do have to say that GC is just a layover destination for me. My experience has been when I factor in the quality of the diving, the service, the food, and the solitude of the location, the Cayman Sister Islands are the best bang for my buck. I hated the crowds and touristy flavor of Coz, and paying for everything piecemeal made it feel so much more expensive than paying one bill ahead of time and only worrying about incidentals and a tip after that. I understand that dining on GC can be quite expensive, but if you stay away from town in Coz, factor a cab fare into the price and include the time you wasted waiting on crowds, and you start realizing you aren't saving as much as you might think.

To me, especially on vacation, time is money. I only have a precious short time to relax and get rid of 30-40 weeks of stress, and anything that interrupts that (like taxi rides to town or fighting through pod people crowds to get to a restaurant), is burning that precious time like cash in a campfire. You might try to look farther out for flights or try some of the package deals on GC or the sister islands that include airfare. They usually have bulk airfare through Cayman air that is about $300 or so RT. Sorry to hear about your problems with the costs, but I do have to be a little selfish and say "more solitude for me" :10: (Just kidding!)

Bonaire has been a good value for us. We went to the Caymans this year (first and last time) and like you thought it was too expensive. Plus the freedom of diving in Bonaire has spoiled us. We get a package at Buddy Dive that includes unlimited shore diving, breakfast, rental vehicle and room. The only expense we have is supper.

ms tomato:
We have vacationed in the Caymans for the last 13 years and just loved the island. This summer we are going probably for the last time since the airfare and price of condo has just skyrocketed. ($600+for a round trip per person) We love the diving and snorkeling and the feeling for safety all around the island. It is sad that the locals have priced the middle class vacationer out of their island. The dollar has never been worth more than .80 so it's over our heads. Any suggestions for an alternative that is safe without strong currents? Thanks.

I'll jump on the Bonaire/Curacao bandwagon. The expense to get there is more than offset by the freedom to do as many dives as you like whenever you like. The last time I was on Cayman I somehow managed to eat $700 worth of hamburgers and conch fritters in one week at Sunset House. I almost had to start washing dishes to get off that island.

HMMMMMM Been to GC four times now Stayed at Seaview ate well only partied hard when we got caught by Roxann (Huricane) but have never found it to be all that expensive. Lonstar grill split the meal crak Counch 11 .50 pp then If you have a rental car eat with the locals you can have a very nice meal play pool and still not spend all of a 50.00 EAT SLEEP DIVE works for me sad if it didn't work for you. Try going during Cayman Maddness built in airfair and package diving and some meals.

We do a lot of shore diving and that is great for us. I think paying more than $200 a night for beachfront in the off season is way too much. Since it's just the two of us, we like a one bedroom condo and eat all of our meals in. We are there to soak up the sun and sand and the diving and snorkling not into partying. We prefer the quiet life of island living and we do plan everything ourselves so that we can have that privacy. We have had package deals and not been as pleased as planning it ourselves. But, then, we are not cruise people either. We took one cruise and it was our last. Just revolting. Couldn't wait to get off of the boat and will NEVER go again. I am not putting the Caymans down, but there will be a limit to what the market will bear. And safety is #1. No one wants to travel where they do not feel safe. Thanks again for all of the comments.

louisianadiver:
I'll jump on the Bonaire/Curacao bandwagon. The expense to get there is more than offset by the freedom to do as many dives as you like whenever you like. The last time I was on Cayman I somehow managed to eat $700 worth of hamburgers and conch fritters in one week at Sunset House. I almost had to start washing dishes to get off that island.

Driving to NO to see the city. Staying in Pineville on the way down from Texas and in Eunice on the way back. Looking forward to eating delicious Cajun food and listening to zydeco music. Our favorite radio station is www.kbon.com out of Eunice. EEEEE HA! :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom