Cayman Expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airfare to GCM is a really hit-or-miss proposition. If you try to book more than a month ahead of time, you're likely to have to pay dearly for the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have reservations. And if you wait until less than two weeks beforehand, you're going to pay for being there at the last minute. I play this game every year, since I live on Little Cayman during the winter months. The one good recent development is that Cayman Airways has started flying to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. If you book all the way through to the sister islands with Cayman Airways, you can get quite a break over the "old" price of first going to GCM and then taking Island Air on to LYB or the Brac. But it's still an ever-changing challenge to find when to book in order to get a good deal.

AggieDiver:
My experience has been when I factor in the quality of the diving, the service, the food, and the solitude of the location, the Cayman Sister Islands are the best bang for my buck.
I've only been at Sunset House on GC. Can you give me an idea of the diving on other islands.

One thing I liked about Sunset House is we could get 3, sometimes 4 with a night dive, dives in per day because the diving off the shore at Sunset House was pretty good.

On Little Cayman it seems like everything is structured around a 2 dive day (with a night dive offered a couple times a week). Is that right?

UWSojourner:
On Little Cayman it seems like everything is structured around a 2 dive day (with a night dive offered a couple times a week). Is that right?
It depends on where you stay. I know that Paradise Villas and Pirate's Point only do a 2 dive trip, but I also know that Southern Cross and Little Cayman Beach Resort offer packages with 3 dives a day. Personally, I live there and go as much as I want--right off the beach.

I can only speak for Cayman Brac for direct experience from two previous trips, and Little Cayman through research and planning for a trip there this September. What is typical at resorts like Divi Tiara and Cayman Brac Beach Resort on CB and Little Cayman beach Resort on LC is to have a package set up as all inclusive with 2 dives per day and 1-2 night dives during the week. Adding the 3rd dive in the afternoon is an additional expense or you can go elsewhere and shore dive or snorkel. Sometimes they do offer 3 dive all-inclusive packages as a part of the specials, but most of the special deals are 2 dives/day. What I will say is that if you don't wait for a "special", the Caymans are indeed quite expensive if you are paying full regular rates. But they typically almost always have some offer or another going that gives a significant discount off of the regular rates. I think the biggest difference for you between GC and Brac or LC would be the pace. In general, the boats will be less crowded, the crew a little more laid back (but extremely professional and safety conscious), and the general pace a little slower and less rushed.

I sat down and tried to compare "comparable" diving packages at Coz and on Cayman Brac before my last trip to CB. What I mean by that is that when I dive, I want a clean, comfortable hotel room, I want the option to either have good food included in my package or available at a reasonably close by location, and I want an excellent dive operator with clean, safe, fast boats with ample room for however many divers they will put on them (preferably not very many).

What I figured out was this. I can go to CB during their "Splash" specials for about $1200, including airfare from Houston, 2 dives per day, all meals (great food), a nice clean room with air conditioning and a nice view, a nice white sand beach with hammocks under the palms, excellent 46? foot boats with twin diesels that are run by extremely safety conscious crews that do an excellent job taking care of your every need and making sure that your touch your gear as little as possible. (You set up your gear once on the boat, for the rest of the week, it is cleaned and setup for you, you sit at the back and it is brought to you and you are helped into it, then you stand up and giant stride in. I don't have to include in that price taxi fare to town, time and effort to go into town and find a restaurant that isn't packed with pod people, or the price for whatever meal I choose to eat. I also don't have to factor in staying in a hotel that may or may not have a view of something besides the highway, may or may not have direct access to the water, or may or may not have any semblence of a relaxing place to hang out post dive.

At Coz by comparison, I can get air from IAH for about $500 on a good day, a "comparable" quality accomodation will easily run $4-500 for the week with the dive op included (usually a cattle boat operation offering 2 dives per day). If I want to upgrade to a faster boat with a (possibly) more experienced crew, then I can count on paying at least $150-200 more for the week, and I haven't even factored in cab fare to get to town, the cost of meals, or any other non-monetary value for the lost time and lack of convenience. By the time all of that is factored in, CB is better diving (IMHO) and it costs at least the same if not less than Coz. Add in no language barrier, and no pod people, and I see no comparison whatsoever between the two that could justify calling CB expensive and Coz a bargain destination.

I recognize that for others, getting to Coz is cheaper than from Houston, and I also realize that to others, the atmosphere of San Miguel is more interesting than the empty beach on CB. I also realize that others think any room with four walls and a roof is an acceptable diving accomodation. There are times when I agree, but in comparing apples to apples, CB wins the comparison hands down. To me, the "Vacation" dive trip is different than the quickie 3-4 day long weekend. The "Vacation" trip means diving alot, doing as little as possible otherwise, touching the wallet as litttle as possible, and not dealing with teeming crowds whenever possible. CB and LC are where I will probably take my "Vacation" trips for the foreseeable future, unless we decide to go to the South Pacific sometime in the next few years.

Thank you for the information. Do you know of any owner rentals on either of the islands? They are usually much cheaper than renting from the managing real estate company. Also, do the smaller islands have grocery markets to buy food and beer/wine? When not diving, are there good snorkling opportunities? Thanks.

AggieDiver:
I can only speak for Cayman Brac for direct experience from two previous trips, and Little Cayman through research and planning for a trip there this September. What is typical at resorts like Divi Tiara and Cayman Brac Beach Resort on CB and Little Cayman beach Resort on LC is to have a package set up as all inclusive with 2 dives per day and 1-2 night dives during the week. Adding the 3rd dive in the afternoon is an additional expense or you can go elsewhere and shore dive or snorkel. Sometimes they do offer 3 dive all-inclusive packages as a part of the specials, but most of the special deals are 2 dives/day. What I will say is that if you don't wait for a "special", the Caymans are indeed quite expensive if you are paying full regular rates. But they typically almost always have some offer or another going that gives a significant discount off of the regular rates. I think the biggest difference for you between GC and Brac or LC would be the pace. In general, the boats will be less crowded, the crew a little more laid back (but extremely professional and safety conscious), and the general pace a little slower and less rushed.

I sat down and tried to compare "comparable" diving packages at Coz and on Cayman Brac before my last trip to CB. What I mean by that is that when I dive, I want a clean, comfortable hotel room, I want the option to either have good food included in my package or available at a reasonably close by location, and I want an excellent dive operator with clean, safe, fast boats with ample room for however many divers they will put on them (preferably not very many).

What I figured out was this. I can go to CB during their "Splash" specials for about $1200, including airfare from Houston, 2 dives per day, all meals (great food), a nice clean room with air conditioning and a nice view, a nice white sand beach with hammocks under the palms, excellent 46? foot boats with twin diesels that are run by extremely safety conscious crews that do an excellent job taking care of your every need and making sure that your touch your gear as little as possible. (You set up your gear once on the boat, for the rest of the week, it is cleaned and setup for you, you sit at the back and it is brought to you and you are helped into it, then you stand up and giant stride in. I don't have to include in that price taxi fare to town, time and effort to go into town and find a restaurant that isn't packed with pod people, or the price for whatever meal I choose to eat. I also don't have to factor in staying in a hotel that may or may not have a view of something besides the highway, may or may not have direct access to the water, or may or may not have any semblence of a relaxing place to hang out post dive.

At Coz by comparison, I can get air from IAH for about $500 on a good day, a "comparable" quality accomodation will easily run $4-500 for the week with the dive op included (usually a cattle boat operation offering 2 dives per day). If I want to upgrade to a faster boat with a (possibly) more experienced crew, then I can count on paying at least $150-200 more for the week, and I haven't even factored in cab fare to get to town, the cost of meals, or any other non-monetary value for the lost time and lack of convenience. By the time all of that is factored in, CB is better diving (IMHO) and it costs at least the same if not less than Coz. Add in no language barrier, and no pod people, and I see no comparison whatsoever between the two that could justify calling CB expensive and Coz a bargain destination.

I recognize that for others, getting to Coz is cheaper than from Houston, and I also realize that to others, the atmosphere of San Miguel is more interesting than the empty beach on CB. I also realize that others think any room with four walls and a roof is an acceptable diving accomodation. There are times when I agree, but in comparing apples to apples, CB wins the comparison hands down. To me, the "Vacation" dive trip is different than the quickie 3-4 day long weekend. The "Vacation" trip means diving alot, doing as little as possible otherwise, touching the wallet as litttle as possible, and not dealing with teeming crowds whenever possible. CB and LC are where I will probably take my "Vacation" trips for the foreseeable future, unless we decide to go to the South Pacific sometime in the next few years.

ms tomato:
Thank you for the information. Do you know of any owner rentals on either of the islands? They are usually much cheaper than renting from the managing real estate company. Also, do the smaller islands have grocery markets to buy food and beer/wine? When not diving, are there good snorkling opportunities? Thanks.
Can't speak to the owner rental market, but I assure you that there are grocery markets on both CB and LC. The locals have to have something to eat and place to buy it. :D

The little grocery on LC is, well, little. Shopping home or GC for some stuff might be a good idea. (Course, then you've got to get it there.) I'd think the Brac would be easier for a do it yourself trip, and have more opportunities for places to rent and shop.

Damselfish:
The little grocery on LC is, well, little. Shopping home or GC for some stuff might be a good idea. (Course, then you've got to get it there.) I'd think the Brac would be easier for a do it yourself trip, and have more opportunities for places to rent and shop.
Absolutely! But then you're stuck on Cayman Brac, where the high point of the week is a boat ride over to Little Cayman. The truth is, the diving on the Brac is just a pale shadow of what you get on Little Cayman. But as you mentioned, "the store" is exhorbitantly overpriced and the variety is, well, frozen chicken or frozen chicken or frozen chicken.

What I always do is go over to Foster's Food Fair when I come through Grand Cayman. It takes about 10 minutes to walk there from the terminal building and their prices are almost as low as my local Safeway. They have a great selection as well. So I load up with all the meat I can carry, then hustle back to the terminal to catch the flight on to Little Cayman. And every visitor who comes down to stay with me is given the charge to do exactly the same thing. Anybody who shows up without their duty-free booze limit and a big bag of meat from Foster's is likely to have to sleep on the beach!

agree, we go to LC because everyone we ever talk to that was on the Brac, just wants to get to LC! (But we just go to LCBR and pay them to feed us.)

I've only done a few dives on the Brac, and I though it was pretty good too, just started a lot deeper.

Hi

I have been to Bonaire 4 times and love it but it is not cheap in fact it is quite expensive with good restaurants and hotels and great diving. Boat dives are expensive and shore diving is wonderful but you need to rent a vehicle to get around.

The cheapest place I have found is Utila, a carribean island off the coast of Honduras, the diving is great with more than 70 buoyed sites around the island. The island is a big backpacker location so everything is cheap e.g. double room from $6 up to $40 per night and a package of 10 dives for $125. If you want a little more luxury there are all inclusive resorts as well. I dived with Deep Blue and found them to be a great operation and they have both a school in town and a resort see wwwdeepblueutila.com

The main airport in Honduras is San Pedro Sula and Continental fly there direct from Houston, then it is 2 short flights to Utila:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom