Trip Report Cayman Aggressor IV Trip May 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Richard, I know that you have now have had a chance to dive some of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean including Bonaire, Belize, the Cayman Islands, and others.

I think that Bonaire is unique because of the shore diving, and culture of diving freedom; but when considering boat-based reef and wall dives what was your overall impression of the Cayman diving quality, did the trip live up to your expectations?

I realize that there are many other places still to visit and dive, and that the Caymans are expensive, and you had to share a room and couldn't dive solo on the CA, but despite these concerns are the Caymans a place that you would consider returning to for another dive trip or recommend to others?

The reason I am asking is because my husband and I have fallen in love with the Caymans as a vacation and dive destination. I think it is great, but sometimes I wonder how much of our opinions are because the islands and dive operations really suit our needs and preferences at this time of our life.

We weren't as enthusiastic about Cayman when we were younger. We thought it was too developed and too expensive. But later we learned how to mitigate the costs and the crowds somewhat and we had opportunities to visit Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, and that's when we really started to like the Caymans a lot!

Since I know that you are great at benchmarking and evaluation (and that you are at an earlier, more exploratory point in your dive history) I was wondering how you would asses the Caymans as a top Caribbean dive destination? Little Cayman is often mentioned on SB as one of the best dive spots in the Caribbean, based on your range of experiences, do you agree?

Last edited:
The Caymans featured really good general Caribbean diving. I'd heard that Bloody Bay Wall is held by some to be the best in the Caribbean, so as a diver in this region it was on my bucket list to do. It's a fine destination and I recommend it. As to my expectations and how it stacks up, taking a look at it point-by-point:

1.) Viz. was quite good. Somehow my expectations were a bit excessive; when I hit the water, I tended to think 'Not as good as I expected,' but once diving the reef, I realized it was pretty comparable to what I remember in Bonaire. Never had a current worse than mild in 25 dives. From what I read, for viz. in the Caribbean, Cozumel may well be king (anybody got thoughts on that?).

2.) Varied topography, from 'hard bottom' to sloping wall to vertical wall, but even the last was comfortable. I didn't have that 'hanging over a 6,000 foot abyss' feeling.

3.) Reef lushness was good. Not across-the-board head-and-shoulders above what I've seen elsewhere. I still recall a southern Bonaire site, Sweet Dreams, and maybe Red Beryl and Karpata there, with fondness as lush.

4.) Fishiness was fine; comparable to my Belize live-aboard trip, much more big stuff than Bonaire (8 trips, > 150 dives in Bonaire, haven't seen a shark there yet) plus more varied grouper than Bonaire. But of my dive trips so far, some places in Key Largo (e.g.: Snapper Ledge) still take the cake on fishiness, although the viz. in Key Largo wasn't nearly as good.

5.) As for 'best in the Caribbean,' I thought it was pretty comparable to diving the Lighthouse Atoll region out of Belize by the Sun Dancer II (not Belize Aggressor IV). But that's opinion. The Caymans had more 'docile' sea life (not that the Lighthouse Atoll region were unusually skittish; some of the Nassau Grouper in the Caymans are outright touchable).

6.) Comparing live-aboard options, the Cayman Aggressor IV tends to be more expensive than the Belize offerings. I don't consider the Blue Hole of Belize compelling enough to impact destination choice.

7.) Comparing Bonaire to the Caymans is harder. Bonaire's glory is diving when & where you wish, as often as you wish, independently with no dive shop staff around. You pay for that with having to haul around your own gear, swap multiple tanks, walk in & out over some rough iron shore, drive around where you probably don't understand the road signs, and exercise more independence. I don't recommend Bonaire as a solo destination for a newbie; I suggest going with a group your 1st trip or two, then you can go alone. In the Caymans, Cobalt Coast, LCBR and CBBR offer 'turn key' experiences; show up, you're good. Ditto the Cayman Aggressor IV.

8.) Comparing the Caymans to Belize aside form live-aboards is harder because of the diverse options with Belize. From what I read, the better diving is farther off the mainland (but the mainland has rainforest, Mayan ruins, etc...), Ambergris Caye seems very popular and touristy, Caye Caulker more laid back/less touristy, Placencia with Splash Divers seems to get attention when diving plus some mainland excursions are desired, Turneffe Atoll can be pricey but gets farther out to the better diving. All that's based on what I recall/interpreted from what I read. Trying to select a non-live-aboard option for Belize sounds like a head ache.

I'd yak more, but our 3 year old just joined me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom