Caves in Santa Cruz Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is really a Southern question. I have heard about them, but not as a dive spot.

Not too sure if thats in the correct area that you are thinking of but there were some great caves under anacapa island including one where I found pieces of a broken up sailboat in the back of a cave, not to mention a family of lobsters living there as well !!

Captain Tim runs a nice boat, IMHO. I've only been to Santa Cruz out of Ventura, though. There are also boats from Santa Barbara that do Northern Channel Islands liveaboard trips - Truth Aquatics.

I might be doing a 3 day Truth Aquatics trip in December - the schedule is a bit hazy though. Not sure where they're headed, but it's somewhere in the North Channel Islands. The instructors running the trip aren't able to teach Cavern which is my main interest though.

I am leaving for Santa Barbara today and will be diving Santa Cruz Island. This is the location with the largest known underwater cave (160ft entrance ceiling) so it should be pretty spectacular if we dive wherever the entrance is located. If not, it will certainly be nice to dive in 59 degree water compared to 46 degree water!

If I dive near any of the caves, I will certainly report back what I found. Unfortunately I did not get my underwater housing for my digital camera but this is my first dive down there so I want to just take it all in and enjoy and not have to focus on photography. Next trip I will have my housing and then I can possibly post some photos.

Cheers

There is another underwater cave I would like to dive one day - Fish Rock in NSW, Australia. It's a swim through that goes under an island, you go in one side, and pop out on the other side of the island, and if you're lucky, get to meet some resident endangered grey nurse sharks on the way.

One of the local dive shops that runs charters there doesn't seem to require any overhead experience from their clients to dive it... even though it is a 120m (400ft) penetration dive.

www.fishrock.com.au/dive sites/fishrock_cave.htm

Back
Top Bottom