Cavern Training at Ginnie...what gear am I going to need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the next couple of months, I'm going to pursue cavern training at Ginnie Springs. I was wondering, for the cavern course, if I am able to use my recreational gear...such as my SeaQuest Balance BCD, aluminum tank with yoke valve, Suunto Vyper (in console), and my Micra ADJ reg with octo. Any thoughts?

that list is a great starting place

also, talk to your instructor before hand. that's the best thing to do. part
of the class is streamlininig your equipment (even if OW) for the overhead
environment.

the things you'll absolutley have to get are, and you can rent
these (not sure about the reel) at Ginnie:

1. primary light
2. secondary light
3. safety (small) reel

a seven foot hose on your primary reg would also be a good thing

The gear you have is perfect. Talk to your instructor about what other equipment you may need in reference to lights,reels etc because perhaps you can find some good deals in advance under the used gear pages. Don't fret the gear configuration because the instructor will spend an extensive amount of time with you on this,and this will be part of your learning process. I'd say all you need right now is an open mind and a plan to have some fun.

Thanks gus...just the answers I wanted to hear. I do have a doubles setup with SPG, DIN valves, drysuit, and Apeks regs...I just want more practice in the open water and quarries first to get more used to it.

The first person you should talk to is a cave/cavern instructor, preferrably the one you're going to use, as he/she will be the one teaching you.

Anyway... what we suggest to our cavern students is a D8 or similar, small backup (Princeton Tec 40, SL4, etc.), Cavern/Safety Reel (140' of line minimum) and a 7' hose.

r.e. the light: We suggest this because it's relatively cheap ($80 or so) and is perfectly acceptable for cavern and is an excellent "backup primary" if you upgrade to a cannister light.

yeah, i kinda bought a canister light the other day...so i'm good there.

Thanks, I will do that.

Doc Intrepid:
Kid. Get a pair of fingerless gloves. They can be inexpensive ones. If you go on to do Intro to Cave, you'll learn all about 'pull & glide'...

Why fingerless gloves? Why not just bare handed like the rest of us? That is pat of the learning process. Those torn fingers from improper pull-n-glides are a right of passage (pass the salt and vinegar chips please :D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom