Cavern Class Info Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter - just to echo what others have told you, go ahead and contact the instructor you are using(if you have already picked one out) for gear suggestions, it'll likely help you from repurchasing things later on.

You'll be able to do Cavern with a K-valve, no problem.

If you are intrigued by DIR diving, go down to High Springs and take Fundies. You can do this in a single tank, without an H valve, and it will give you a significant insight into the skills and the level of proficiency you will need for any kind of overhead environment diving. Even if you do not decide to stay with the DIR approach, the class will have been well worth your while.

Walter, shop around for an instructor now. It is not too soon to be talking to one about a class at the end of summer or beginning of fall. I talk to my students months in advance about class requirements. In fact, I've recently been talking to someone about a class in November. If the instructor you choose doesn't want to give you the time of day now for a class that far in advance, then that should tell you something. I was fortunate enough to find an instructor that gave me the time well in advance. I now pay that forward to my students. Besides, it helps them be better prepared.

just another thought, as silly as it may seem...be sure your instructor actually takes the time to answer your questions. I'm taking a course with Dive-aholic who has responded above and he has answered everything I've asked and most of it incredibly fast. he has taken a lot of time already and I've not given him a dime towards training. I've learned more pre-class from him than almost all of my Padi recreational instructors to date - and that's 9 specialties plus open water and advanced. I'm not only here to plug Rob oops I mean Dive-aholic but really to show how valuable it is. While I'm clearly still going to be nervous going into the Cavern and Intro to Cave classes, I'm SO much more prepared (not just equipment but for so many things including equipment) for this than anything else I've done. he's also helped with many things that don't even directly relate to the class. really awesome. look for someone who does that - it will make a world of difference. good luck!!

I'm late to this thread, but mirror what others have said. It's NOT too early to pick an instructor, and the instructor you pick will help you out with gear config.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom