cave photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are very cool shots! It looks amazing, but it's not for me...that horizontally challenged shot is just waaay too claustrophobic!

Mel.b

Nice photos. I do need to get down to Mexico!

60feet:
Agreed. Shouldn't touch living things, etc. same in USA. I was just wondering... because in photo #3 (horizontally challenged) and photo #4, where her hand "appears" close to rock wall. Not criticizing; just thinking about diver safety, that's all. Again, very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. Peace.

In low flow systems, like in Mexico, you're not supposed to touch. The reason the fingers are cut out is in case there is a silt out. You need to be able to feel for the line, and the line isn't that big. The exit then becomes a matter of feeling your way out.

In the high flow systems, found in Florida, the technique is called pull and glide. You carefully choose pull points on the wall or floor and pull yourself into the cave. Improper technique will cause you to develop squirrel fingers - the skin on your fingertips is basically sanded off. It is very painful! Proper technique leaves your fingers unmarked...because your fingertips don't actually make contact with the rock. The reason pull and glide is okay is because the rock walls and floors in high flow systems are not as fragile as those found in low flow systems. It's almost like horizontal rock climbing. :D

Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing.
Though I can see the beauty in such diving, I doubt I would ever feel the need to cave dive. Too interested in life on the reef.
If in time the photographer in me gets exposed, well who knows.

Dive-aholic, nice explanation on low flow and high flow environments. Thanks. I learn something new. :)

stunning photography...who took those?

he he, love the DI (mostly) R in your profile.

the backlighting is from mounting an ikelite 9577.1 ball to the protruding stud on the bottom bolt of the doubles, then attaching a 6" ikelite arm, and ss200 strobe.

The strobe is triggered by a 4100 TTL slave sensor, that you can occasionaly see in the diver's hand.

Art

azcaddman:
the backlighting is from mounting an ikelite 9577.1 ball to the protruding stud on the bottom bolt of the doubles, then attaching a 6" ikelite arm, and ss200 strobe.

The strobe is triggered by a 4100 TTL slave sensor, that you can occasionaly see in the diver's hand.

Art

Wow, that is innovative. That could work well for a diver next to a wall shot as well. I will ask my buddy if he would be willing to be a mobile strobe caddy for our next wall dive :wink:

yeah, the trick is in balancing the light, you have to set the power of the remote strobe to 1/2 (or less than 1/2 depending on distance to wall, and how reflective it is) of what you have the main strobe set to.

this is because the light from the remote strobe is traveling a much shorter distance back to the camera, than the light from the camera mounted strobe (1 way, vs 2 way).

Takes a bit of playing with, but worth it. I have thought of trying this in the california kelp also, but havn't gotten around to it yet.

Back
Top Bottom