Cave diving discussion - Split from Curious Question thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do!

Can we move this thread to tek-to-tek so we don't have to have the moderators editing every other post?

I could, but not all participants in this thread are members of T2T...

I could, but not all participants in this thread are members of T2T...
Thanks. In that case I'd suggest deleting the thread.

Ya know, the video was shot in 2001. Lots of things have changed since then and I'd like to think that for the most part, cave diving has moved along.

However, cave conservation is a very real issue, and we should all be striving to get better, not just "maintain". When I see someone really make a mess, I'll say something. We ALL pull and glide, and we've all had an arrant fin tip. My personal goal is to improve on every dive, and I hope thats the goal of other cave divers as well. When I see things like "cave conservation is a joke", I get a little riled up.

Same thing with equipment. No, there are no cave police, but some things are just inferior to others, and yolk regs are one of them in a cave environment. What is especially baffling is that they WERE DIN regs... with yolk adapters... I don't get that. Unfortunately, people have had close calls or flat out not made it because of bad equipment choice. I don't want others to have to go through that if it can be avoided. If I see something downright dangerous, you bet I'll say something.

Not just cave divers read these posts. People that want to be cave divers read these posts, and we should all be striving to set the standard for those who follow us.

Does it bother you? Then don't do it this way,

Good comment

The fact that I can operate in other environments with perfect buoyancy without hitting my yokes hard enough to hurt them is a testimonial to my ability!!

No problem with yoke regs. They were the meat and potatoes of cave diving from the beginning,and the accident analysis from that era never had an accident from yoke regs,just stupid things like not running a continuous like.

To this day I maintain close friends with many of the characters in "Cavern's Measureless to Man",some with over 5000 cave dives. Far from me to say I won't dive with you because of yoke regs,especially when they are the ones who laid the line in the tourist caves. I do a bubble check like I would with anybody else,and look forward to anything I can gather from their decades of experience.

However, cave conservation is a very real issue, and we should all be striving to get better, not just "maintain". When I see someone really make a mess, I'll say something. We ALL pull and glide, and we've all had an arrant fin tip. My personal goal is to improve on every dive, and I hope thats the goal of other cave divers as well. When I see things like "cave conservation is a joke", I get a little riled up.

I agree,and good comment. Cave conservation is a HUGE issue,more than you realize. There are questions being asked by the largest owner of caves in Florida that could effect you tremendously. Matter of fact there was a policy that was instituted at one of the most popular places that would have left you with searching for another place to dive if we hadn't done some negotiation. If we keep cave conservation a high priority and actually do it,it will prevent things like limited access in the future.

Can we move this thread to tek-to-tek so we don't have to have the moderators editing every other post? I hate when threads get so hacked up they don't even make sense anymore.

I'm not sure T2T is the right place for this thread ... makes it difficult to take the forum seriously.

Perhaps we could put it in The Pub ... or ... does ScubaBoard have a Humor forum?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Frankly I don't see the point of continuing this thread without OP. It does have a strong popcorn factor, but in T2T it's preaching to the choir.

California would like to apologize for OP.

Frankly I don't see the point of continuing this thread without OP. It does have a strong popcorn factor, but in T2T it's preaching to the choir.

California would like to apologize for OP.

agreed.
it was more fun when he could see it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom