Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What name did Agnes under on scubaboard? I was just wondering if she was someone I had interacted with. The photos and videos on her site are amazing. So very sad to hear of her loss.

I remember reading on her website several months ago that she started cave diving in 2008, but it's no longer there. I've seen some reports that she started in '06 or '07, as well. It definitely wasn't '09, but it also wasn't that long ago.

She had redundant air. The issue is she turned a primary cylinder into a stage cylinder and pushed on with a single cylinder that had already been breathed from and that had no redundancy (no h-valve). The better plan would have been to return to that passage with an unbreathed no mount cylinder equipped with an h-valve and redundant regs (although it's not clear if redundant regs would have made a difference) and attempted to push it at that time. Whether she planned what she did before the dive or changed her plan during the dive, the issue was the plan and execution of dropping a primary cylinder and taking a less than full cylinder in that passage.
Thanks so much for clarifying. Great explanation and information.

You probably did read some of her posts on SB. *Ag* made some posts in this section and some others, but mostly Australia, I think. I had some interaction with her on the Sanctum thread, where she linked her blog and review of working as a stunt diver on Sanctum just before it opened. She answered my questions and I read her blog and was so impressed with her work and videos. I was also impressed that someone as busy as her would take the time to read the forums, answer questions and give her insight. She will be missed, even by those of us who didn't actually know her... :depressed:

This was her profile: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/%2Aag%2A.html Someone's checking in here for her, because her last visit was today...

Thank you for the link to her profile. It is always sad when we lose a diver but especially when they are one of our own. It is never easy to lose anyone.

Ayisha, your statement, "I was also impressed that someone as busy as her would take the time to read the forums, answer questions and give her insight." is one of the many reasons scubaboard is such a wonderful places as there are so many people with knowledge that take time to help others. She certainly fit in with that spirit and desire to help and share and will be missed.

One stark difference in cave incidents as opposed to most other dive incidents is that they usually is a report of some type that identifies the series of events leading to the fatality. And a sober reminder that things can happen to even the best divers. The water is not forgiving to an empty tank no matter the cause.

I just found out about Agnes' death. We were friends, and she was was one of the most warm, lovely women I have ever known. We frequently go a few weeks or so between emails or calls. I just happend to stumble accross this thread, and I am thunderstruck. It has been a long time since I have lost a friend in a dive related accident. I am sick with this. We all have a last dive, but her's has come too damn early.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Last year she was part of a National Geographic Team on a project to the Blue Holes of the Bahamas and worked as a stunt diver on the 3D cave diving feature film Sanctum.

The Movie Sactum that Agnes Milowka did some stunt diving in ,will start showing in South Africa in the next few weeks - i would love to watch it -sad though that the experienced stunt diver that did the dives is no longer with us. My wife & i will definitely watch it. The preview showed some beautiful under water scenes. Every time i see that, i get this movement inside me to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom