Cave (cenote) diving video - looking for suggestions on better lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcdivingadventures

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We recently went diving in Dos Ojos Cenote in Mexico and took a lot of video. We used two halcyon HIDs and even with that lighting power, the video turned out "okay" (take a look at the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMy-oVENdRA&feature=plcp ). Any suggestions on how I can light up a broader area in pitch black caves? I am specifically looking for a recommendation on a broad bean, high lumen video lighting system that is durable.

In addition to putting high intensity lights on the video camera, most of the people shooting the amazing cave videos also have their divers carrying similar, high output lights. The investment in lighting equipment to shoot well in caves is not small, and most of these very high energy lights also require carrying a separate canister and battery.

Thanks for the advice all. THe key challenge I had was that I didnt feel the video captured the "awe" of the sights I saw while actually there. Perhaps it is not a lighting issue and more of a wide angle lens issue. I do like the point about getting the other divers to carry similar lights since some of the shots I favour included lights from others (except they were all different lumen/colour temps and looked a bit odd). Anyone know anything about high intensity LED dive lights specifically? I am also looking in get better lamp time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom