Cave Divers - Light advice, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things have greatly improved in the newer Focus 2.0s. I still personally prefer my UWLD, but there are negatives to it (namely reflection from particulate due to the wide beam and sometimes buddy signals aren't clear to people not used to it). My wife loves her Halcyon way more than her UWLD. It is excellent for signaling teammates. It definitely doesn't come close to lighting up the cave like an UWLD. I think it depends on what you want. I prefer seeing a ton of cave.
which gen do you have? The current generation is really good and the narrowing of the beam was very noticeable. It is as tight as anything out there except the Focus with the square beam.

which gen do you have? The current generation is really good and the narrowing of the beam was very noticeable. It is as tight as anything out there except the Focus with the square beam.
The newest 40. Upgraded from the 35 and it is definitely a huge difference. But the UWLD is still not the most ideal light for very heavy percolation in the water.
I haven't compared the new beam to anything other than uwld's or the focus 2. Haven't had the chance to see it up against a LM

The newest 40. Upgraded from the 35 and it is definitely a huge difference. But the UWLD is still not the most ideal light for very heavy percolation in the water.
I haven't compared the new beam to anything other than uwld's or the focus 2. Haven't had the chance to see it up against a LM
build quality is so much better than the LM and with their CS having gotten as bad as it is there is minimal point. I don't disagree that it's not the ideal light for heavy particulate but I've been in some nasty stuff with KUR survey being in the back for tape survey and on low it's not bad at all. You aren't seeing very much in that anyway but the biggest thing I've found it to kick it down to low and keep it as far away from your face as you can. My main dive buddy uses the Halcyon lights and it holds its own in that environment.

Focus 2.0 is fantastic.
... but reliability has been a big issue. I know of at least 6-7 instances, just in BAUE, of multiple LED burn outs and switch sticking issues.

My Focus is with EE right now for it's 3rd LED replacement. 1st one was within 3 months of buying, 2nd after about a year and 3rd one now is after over 3 years of owning it. The initial batch of LEDs being bad was well known but, after my second replacement, I was told I got one of the fixed/better LEDs. One of my buddies who got her light back after an LED replacement recently said it was noticeably dimmer so I don't know if the latest "fix" is to just underpower it or something 🤷‍♂️ I'll find out when I get it.
The sticky switch is annoying too because I'm pretty good about rinsing off the saltwater immediately after the dive and doing a very long soak once I get back home as well.

FWIW, Corey and everyone at Halcyon/EE are awesome. No charge any of the times I've sent the light back and they fix it and ship it back within 3-4 days of receiving it.

All that said, I don't think I'd recommend the Focus 2.0 for someone looking at a new light today. It's great when it works but overall reliability is lacking for how much it costs.

... but reliability has been a big issue. I know of at least 6-7 instances, just in BAUE, of multiple LED burn outs and switch sticking issues.

My Focus is with EE right now for it's 3rd LED replacement. 1st one was within 3 months of buying, 2nd after about a year and 3rd one now is after over 3 years of owning it. The initial batch of LEDs being bad was well known but, after my second replacement, I was told I got one of the fixed/better LEDs. One of my buddies who got her light back after an LED replacement recently said it was noticeably dimmer so I don't know if the latest "fix" is to just underpower it or something 🤷‍♂️ I'll find out when I get it.
The sticky switch is annoying too because I'm pretty good about rinsing off the saltwater immediately after the dive and doing a very long soak once I get back home as well.

FWIW, Corey and everyone at Halcyon/EE are awesome. No charge any of the times I've sent the light back and they fix it and ship it back within 3-4 days of receiving it.

All that said, I don't think I'd recommend the Focus 2.0 for someone looking at a new light today. It's great when it works but overall reliability is lacking for how much it costs.
Can’t comment on the switches. I have a custom one without the hi-lo-off switch.

Since the first round of bad emitters, I’ve been good to go with it. I hope they don’t underpower it as a fix.

Can’t comment on the switches. I have a custom one without the hi-lo-off switch.

Since the first round of bad emitters, I’ve been good to go with it. I hope they don’t underpower it as a fix.
Yep, couple of people here got the same custom setup after a while; traditional on-off switch on the canister and it's locked into high mode when it's on.

My next dive with it is going to be my T1 graduation dive and my buddy has an unrepaired Focus 2.0 so I'll have a direct comparison with my repaired one 🤞

My next dive with it is going to be my T1 graduation dive and my buddy has an unrepaired Focus 2.0 so I'll have a direct comparison with my repaired one 🤞

Congrats! T1 is hard course. Pls post your comparison!

Easy way to be objective about it. Just make sure the lights are the same distance when you measure them. I can measure mine tomorrow.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom