Most important features on a video light for uw photography & video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It seems the video lights are becoming more and more popular than strobes, since they allow shooting both video and stills. And they are also easier to shoot with the video lights. Then, what kind of lights do you guys use? For an ideal video light used in uw photography & video, what features would you like to see on the light?

For example:
Brightness: is 6000 lumens enough to have good underwater images? Or do you need stronger light?
Modes and Levels: such as different power levels, 100%-70%-50%-20%-Off, or other modes?
Beam Angle: floodlight for photography, the minimun acceptable angle needed, such as 120°
Run Time: battery system and working time needed.
Controls: what kind of switch you like to operate the light.
Color rendering: about CRI, and will you also need multi-color lighting in photography or video...

Welcome to share your opinions! We will look forward to your suggestions.

6000 Lumens is bright enough for me. I don’t know if having a lot of modes/levels is important for video light, as the matter of fact, less modes is more straightforward and less bottom clicking. I prefer 2 modes - one for daytime and the less bright one for night time (these new powerful LED video lights are too bright for me at night :) ) .5500 -6000K or so temperature seems to work well.
it also important to have a screw-in port or a ball attachment to secure the light to a camera tray.
Battery run time… - the longer the better :)

If you shoot shallow, you need lotsa light. I have a pair of 15k Krakens that in many situations are certainly not too bright.

I also really like a remote - allows you to toggle on/off and change power levels without reaching up. Helps prolong batteries and keeps the image maker from reaching up and down so often - less disruptive to wary subjects.

A burst mode can be helpful for stills

The single most important criterion is reliability. None of the other specs matter if the light isn't working.

I would say an important feature is maintaining output. There are many lights that start out strong, but drop off. While our eyes adjust underwater and not notice, for filming, that may be an issue.

Hi, just sharing that I asked an underwater photography friend how many lumens he uses in his photos and videos, since I am resarching which light to buy. He said 2 x 10,000 lumen lights, but he feels it's not enough.

He shoots in open water including blackwater.

I wonder if 10k would be enough light for a cave where it already is dark. Perhaps someone can shed "light" on that.

Hi, just sharing that I asked an underwater photography friend how many lumens he uses in his photos and videos, since I am resarching which light to buy. He said 2 x 10,000 lumen lights, but he feels it's not enough.

He shoots in open water including blackwater.

I wonder if 10k would be enough light for a cave where it already is dark. Perhaps someone can shed "light" on that.
I have 2 Kraken 8000 with burst of 10000 and they are a minimum for photos. Something around 15000 lumen would be much better. Remote is a no brainer. For caves, 8000 works well.

Back
Top Bottom