Cave/cavern safety question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
Once you do get the OK, you also have a tacit OK to buy the best gear available for the specialty. "It's just to make it all safer, honey." :)

theskull

I have a really nice zeagle reg, a BP/W, a drysuit I really like, and jet fins with spring straps. I have my eye on a couple cannister lights to be my primary. I already have 2 "regular" lights. I am eyeing computers to be my new primary computer, too.

:)

DivingCRNA:
I am taking the Cavern class this weekend. How does one safely deal with the subject with one's spouse when said spouse is ademently opposed to cave diving.

It's just like fishing...just give her a little line at a time. For example, explain that you're just taking cavern and you will be in the daylight zone. Then,,,, a few months later, explain that you're just taking intro and you'll be on the main line with limited penetration. Then,,,,, next year explain that you're just taking apprentice....(get the idea). Worked for me!!!

My wife, like yours, is an open water diver but wasn't too crazy about the idea of me cave diving. Now, she's used to it and it's about all I do.

Edit: So, where you at in MO and where are you taking cavern at??? I dive over in MO all the time. Maybe see you one of these days.

I think numbers and stats will help also. Same thing like sharks for people afraid of that part of OW diving. But when you look at the numbers (on average, less than 60 attacks worldwide every year/on average less than 6 of these are fatalities/ and on average only 1-2 tend to be scuba divers eacy year.) (from the ISAF website.)

rockjock3:
I think numbers and stats will help also. Same thing like sharks for people afraid of that part of OW diving. But when you look at the numbers (on average, less than 60 attacks worldwide every year/on average less than 6 of these are fatalities/ and on average only 1-2 tend to be scuba divers eacy year.) (from the ISAF website.)

I like that one. The wife did a Shark dive in the Bahamas, too.

You just have to help her put it all into perspective. Like the others said also, is the fear irrational. When I go mountain climbing (been doing it for years) even now when I do a climb like my one on El Capitan in Yosimite (2003) I can still feel fear sometimes. While me and my buddy where about the 1800 foot mark (the climb is a 3 day 3000+ foot climb) I was on a pitch, that I was leading, and started to get a little nervous. I just had to stop, think through and evaluate my safety chain, decide if the fear is based or not, and once all systems were checked I was fine and moved on. Fear is what keeps us alive, but we have to know how to use it and not let it control us.

I feel once your wife gets all the facts and understands that you want to get all the proper training (versus just going out and doing it on your own) that she will relax a bit.

I am at greater risk traveling down the high way to take the cavern class than I am actually doing the diving. Fear comes from lack of knowledge. I've made over 1000 cave dives,and my wife understands the sport better than some full cave divers,because I make it a point to educate her on the dive plans I do,and safety considerations I take. She knows it if I take a short cut,and has good reason to tear into me. The one suggestion I'd have is go slow,and progress in a manner she is comfortable with. Enjoy your class and have fun.

Not sure if you're taking the cavern course in singles or doubles, but I was told that there hasn't been a single reported fatality since 1968 (I think that's when NACD was founded) of a trained cavern or intro diver using a single tank. :thumbs_up:

Maybe someone can elaborate on that stat a bit more?

theskull:
Why is the spouse opposed to cave diving?

If it is an irrational "fear of caves" kind of thing I doubt you have much chance.

If it is because spouse has heard about the cave divers who have died while diving caves, you might let them read Sheck Exley's "Blueprint for Survival" cave diving manual. It is a short read that details everything that can go wrong and how the well-trained and prudent cave diver can dive safely by using the proper techniques and gear.

theskull
i am sure that nothing will calm your wife's fears as effectively as a cave survival book by a guy who died cave diving... :11:

docmartin:
i am sure that nothing will calm your wife's fears as effectively as a cave survival book by a guy who died cave diving... :11:

Sheck died while trying to set a depth record. True it was in a "cave" but it had absolutely nothing to do with a rock ceiling.

Mark Vlahos

steve2281:
It's just like fishing...just give her a little line at a time. For example, explain that you're just taking cavern and you will be in the daylight zone. Then,,,, a few months later, explain that you're just taking intro and you'll be on the main line with limited penetration. Then,,,,, next year explain that you're just taking apprentice....(get the idea). Worked for me!!!

My wife, like yours, is an open water diver but wasn't too crazy about the idea of me cave diving. Now, she's used to it and it's about all I do.

Edit: So, where you at in MO and where are you taking cavern at??? I dive over in MO all the time. Maybe see you one of these days.

We are going to Bennett Springs on saturday for the first day. I cannot go the second day, but will finish cavern in Bennett or Roubidoux sometime this winter. I also dive some in Beaver, Table Rock, and Oronogo. I live in Joplin, so Oronogo is 15 minutes away. It has caverns, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom