Cave and wreck line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes you are right, the spool doesnt even fit through woody. My bad.

It is so natural to have a woody/jasper etc, etc, that I dont even think about it anymore.....:05:

Mambo Dave:
Actually I was looking for the correct knot to make the loop at the end of the line, not for the tie-onto process,
The knot that most people use is an overhand on a bight - stretch the large loop out until it is "flat" and then tie a simple overhand knot in the (now doubled) end. I personally prefer the figure 8 on a bight because it lays flatter and looks nicer. :)

Mambo Dave:
Actually I was looking for the correct knot to make the loop at the end of the line, not for the tie-onto process, but the description of wrapping it before passing the reel through the loop was helpful - didn't even think to ask that. One of those 'the more you learn the less you realize you know' moments...
Actually you pass it through the loop before you do the wraps.
Pass through loops, pull tight, give two wraps, there goes your primary tie-off.
The direction of the wrap is important.

The woody loop is just a simple overhand knot.

Here goes a few pictures showing how a primary tie off is done.
Notice in the first picture that the line (spool/reel) has been run through the loop at the end of the line (the large loop, not the woody).

Notice in the second picture how the line is pulled back against the loop locking it.

Notice the two added wraps on the last pic.

EDIT - Just realized that this is the DIR forum. They may teach the primary tie off as wraps first then through the loop.

Jason B:
Actually you pass it through the loop before you do the wraps.
Pass through loops, pull tight, give two wraps, there goes your primary tie-off.
The direction of the wrap is important.

The woody loop is just a simple overhand knot.

Here goes a few pictures showing how a primary tie off is done.
Notice in the first picture that the line (spool/reel) has been run through the loop at the end of the line (the large loop, not the woody).

Notice in the second picture how the line is pulled back against the loop locking it.

Notice the two added wraps on the last pic.

EDIT - Just realized that this is the DIR forum. They may teach the primary tie off as wraps first then through the loop.

Nah, you nailed it. Nice pics.....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom