Cave and wreck line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think the last little knot is called a 'dickie'. that's what i was told, anyway, though the guy may have been lying.

dave, the delrin thing is likely an extra reel handle, so don't lose it. put it in your save-a-dive kit. the usual knot for the big loop is a bowline.

thanks for the anchor line info, guys!

OMG, it is an extra handle. Talk about a total lack of attention to detail... and I rememeber wondering about the strange shape of the delrin thing tied in the line. Thanks for saving me from myself, BabyDuck.

Upon closer inspection I also saw how sharp the edges of the stainless steel guide hole are (the same criticism that DR has of the slots in its SS backplates), so I think my next project is going to be to dremel those edges smooth to reduce wear on the line.

Best,

MD (not really an MD, but I play one on SB)

BabyDuck:
i think the last little knot is called a 'dickie'. that's what i was told, anyway, though the guy may have been lying.
Actually, it's called a "woody" and is named in honor of Woody Jasper, the diver who supposedly came up with the idea. Woody has been around cave diving for many years, and is best known for his escapades as a sidemount diver.

BabyDuck:
thanks for the anchor line info, guys!

We did not tie into the anchor line Marci. The DM ran a line down the wreck for divers to nav on. We tied into this line (which wasn't tied into the anchor line).

Here goes a few shots of a woody loop on my spool. I also added a few pictures to try and show why we have a woody to start with (no nude women - sorry :D ).

Vayu:
What is the correct way to tie off to a line with cave line. Does it require a reel or will a spool do? Alot of florida boat diving involves current and descent/ascent lines. Is it a common practice to tie off to this line if visibility is low? Thanks,

-V

When drift diving/decending no tie off's

Tying off on downline is usually a bad idea as you will have seen in other posts.

Tie off primary within close proximity of anchor/mooring buoy. Seconday tie off needs to be out of view (like within the wreck/cave) of ordinary divers.

Tie off are through woody (aka loopy), wound around an object 2-3 times and then locked onto itself. Pulled tight and ran further. This way the tension will keep the tie off secured in place.

Practice above water, pull hard (cave line hasw 230lbs breaking strenght, so dont worry about pulling it apart). Tension is the key.

When reeling in, keep tension.... if you dont, very quickly you will end up with a birds nest

for whats its worth I thought it was called a Jasper loop. Named for the same guy but without the risks of changing the definition of a woody. :)

Actually I was looking for the correct knot to make the loop at the end of the line, not for the tie-onto process, but the description of wrapping it before passing the reel through the loop was helpful - didn't even think to ask that. One of those 'the more you learn the less you realize you know' moments...

Through woody first, then wrap around. Second tie, wrap around, then locked (underneath and pulled back). If you do it wrap around first and then through woody, you are likely to come loose...

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the spool is ever passed through the jasper. The spool goes through the bowline knot or the large loop on the pics. The only thing I use the jasper for is undoing the line and clipping off the double ender when in storage.

-V

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom