Cave 1 rule changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is pretty close without a stage. I have never done that dive with a stage. If you set it up and did two dives so you knew the circuit it is a really easy circuit. Doing the whole loop on just thirds without a stage is probably pushing it a bit.

Lamont, Another dive you didn't mention which is main line only and good if you have never done it. Downstream Chac Mol (sp?) Biggest stallagtite you have ever seen in the room that goes deep.

Did another attempt at Chac Mool earlier this week and yet again got about 20 psi from the monster before turning it. We could go back there again and probably run the reel better and stay above the line (which currently seems to have been deliberately run straight through the halocline for as much of the passage as is humanly possible) and make it.

Could just take Cave 2 and go do it on thirds though...

I bet if you switched to wetsuits you can make it on 500psi, stay for a few mins and leave at 6 or 700. You will probably use 100psi more gas on the way back, there's a noticable siphon there as you learned. In a team of three, given the air hole 2/3rds of the way home, this is a reasonable Cave1 plan IMHO.

When we swam this we were pretty staggered to try and keep the halocline clean. I was with some cave2 buddies at the time who were fairly comfortable with our distance off.

There is no good food in P.A. A couple of the smaller hotels south of there have nice restaurants though. Ask the guys at Zero G for recomendations.

Actually the restaurant on the other side of the highway at P.A. is a recommendation from Fred, and it was pretty good. If that guy was down at the dolphin jails he'd clean up pretty good.... The Arranchera at the Turtle Bay Cafe in Akumal was also pretty good (tried another restaurant there but they were closed).

Everything right now is completely dead, btw....

We've seen I think one or two cavern teams, and one guy solo diving doing photography in gran cenote. That's been it. The shops are dead. We talked with the aquanauts owner about business and he said it completely evaporated after the swine flu scare came out. Now is a really good time to get out here, because there's nobody around. Unfortunately, that means the number of bikini clad young ladies at grand cenote was also meager, and there was no point in doing much deco in the cavern for the view... but you didn't have to fight any snorkelers or cavern divers...

So far the only health problem I had was I picked up some energetic bacteria yesterday and had a little GI excitement last night... Sooner or later you're going to run out of luck down here, though, and that's only the second time in 4 trips I've had a little touch of something...

My understanding is that the entrance to Jailhouse is considered a restriction and is off limits to C1 even now (especially since, for everybody after the first diver, it's done in just about zero viz). There are a lot of T's in there, too, so the penetration for C1 divers (who are only allowed one) is limited. I'm looking forward to diving there after I get through C2 in August (she says, optimistically).

I'm not sure Fred put a distance on "restricted passage", but it was clear that he was trying to make a distinction between a window you can swim through and a long section of passage where you could not turn around. I turned my dive in downstream Dos Palmas at a window that was clearly a short restriction, but I couldn't see that it opened up very much on the other side (and we were 30 minutes into a siphon, anyway).

I can certainly see the logic of putting the cookie on the exit side of a closely grouped set of arrows. The thing with the ones at the Paso de Legarto jump is that there is about two or three feet of line from the double arrows (pointing INTO the cave from our entrance) to a stalagmite where the line is tied and makes a right angle turn, and then about a foot or foot and a half of line to the next arrow (pointing TO our exit). In zero viz, I'd encounter the two initial arrows and have to feel all the way to the stalagmite and around the tie and down the line to the other arrow to find my cookie. I agree that, if I've been paying proper attention, I should remember the whole arrangement and expect to have to do that, but it's not just simply feeling past three markers to the cookies.

Peter and I talked to Fred about cookies and contrary arrows after our Yax Mool dive last year. He said he marks the first contrary arrow, and perhaps the second, but after that, he knows he's in a section of cave where the markers are away from his exit, so he doesn't continue to do that. It made sense to me. But it also makes sense to have multiple team members drop cookies on the first couple, because I have been guilty on multiple occasions of getting so interested in trying to find the jump line that the arrow marks, that I have completely ignored the fact that it's pointing the wrong way (right, Lamont?) Since every team member expects to put a marker down, it's likely SOMEBODY will remember to do it . . . Redundant brains are nice things to have in a cave. (And before anybody lambastes me for this, I've seen Fred do it, too -- nobody is perfect.)

I turned my dive in downstream Dos Palmas at a window that was clearly a short restriction, but I couldn't see that it opened up very much on the other side (and we were 30 minutes into a siphon, anyway).

Me + Jeremy blew through there. It opens right back up.

Redundant brains are nice things to have in a cave. (And before anybody lambastes me for this, I've seen Fred do it, too -- nobody is perfect.)

Yeah, I've never done anything stupid while gawking at cave before... =)

( What happens in Nahoch stays in Nahoch... )

Everything right now is completely dead, btw....

We've seen I think one or two cavern teams, and one guy solo diving doing photography in gran cenote. That's been it. The shops are dead. ...

Well, I usually head down there at non-peak diver times anyway. Just after Christmas, peak hurricane season, etc. Having said that, I have gone whole weaks without even seeing a snorkeler. You just have to dive the sites that are a wee bit off the beaten path. I don't think I have been in Grand Cenote in several years.

Nothing is fool proof with avoiding bugs down there but I tend to become a pure carnivore when in Mexico and that greatly reduces the incidents.

Glad you guys are having a good trip. The trick to diving a halocline is to spread out as Rjack said. We scooter sites like that without any issues. Lead diver needs to make an effort to really stay away from the line and to only cross across the cave when absolutely necessary. I doubt staying higher is going to affect gas consumption much at those depths but staying out of the halocline will affect speed.

Upstream Chac Mol on scooters is really cool because done just right the handle drops into the halocline and creates a wake across the top of it. Tried to get pictures on the fly unsuccesfully several times.

This is my sixth trip down there (and I was there last June) and I've never seen it like it is now. Most of the nights we were there, we were the only people in the restaurant (no matter which restaurant). We saw ONE cavern tourer (not just one tour, one diver!) and only one or two other cave divers the whole week, in any of the systems. We didn't even run into classes at Ponderosa or Carwash. I know Fred had two people he was guiding, and Dennis had two students, but there are a lot of systems, and we didn't see them.

Add that to the total lack of lines in the airport, and the Hertz folks' willingness to upgrade me instantly to an SUV at no additional cost, and I think it really sums to there being nobody touring in the Riviera Maya right now. It is, of course, June, when it is hot and humid in MX and pleasant at home for most folks, but still . . .

Upstream Chac Mol on scooters is really cool because done just right the handle drops into the halocline and creates a wake across the top of it. Tried to get pictures on the fly unsuccesfully several times.

I'm not scootering, but I still like showing off this River Run pic. Taken by my buddy Veronica who was student of Danny and Andrew. Props to her, these are not easy shots to get.

e1e0.jpg

That is a very cool picture, Richard! Veronica sure gets some good ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom